How To Discurage A Cat From Licking On Bandaging

DaughterofBast

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lil Bit was spayed aug 6th. She pulled her stiches part way out so they where removed the rest of the way, and she wasn't re-stiched so she has a wound on her belly that we need to keep covered as she has an infection that we don't want to get worse. She's seen the vet three times and is on an antibiotic. The main issue is she keeps licking on the gauze and getting it pretty wet and also pulling out threads and bunching it up. We cut up a tee shirt and are using that to help protect the gauze from her to and everything but she licks on that and soaks it too. Is there any way we can safely keep her from licking on the bandaging. I've changed it once today because it was so wet and I don't want to leave the wet bandaging on for long as all kinds of things like warm moist places and she still has an open wound and everything. Hoping we don't have to do the dreaded E-collar.

I am following the vets instructions on caring for her wound
Twice a day she gets her antibiotic
Also twice a day her bandages are removed her wound is gently cleaned off with a warm cloth allowed to dry for a few moments. antibiotic ointment applied and then fresh bandages applied. Her bandages are changed more often if I notice they are wet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I've not had to try this, but I've seen/read that bitter apple (or whatever flavor?), available at pet stores, can help as it tastes so bad. Best of luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaughterofBast

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, thank you. I forgot about that. Though I'm not sure I will be able to find it as I live in a rural town with just a Walmart available.