How to differentiate between normal chewing/biting behavior and mild pica?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly it looks like normal chewing behavior.. does he try to eat everything he chews on or just chews a lot on things? If he has been doing this for a long time and has only swallowed 2 things I wouldn't think it is pica but I don't know. My girl has chewed on this rope that hangs from her cat tree to the point of it being completely frayed now. And it is that real rough braided type rope.
Attached is a new one and one she has completely chewed and chomped on. She did that much "damage" in about a month she doesn't chew on it often but when she does she goes at it.
He doesn't chew on a lot of things. There are a few things he regularly chews on:
- Cat wands, he likes the stick parts regardless of whether they are made of plastic or wood
- He likes to chew the elastic part of his wand toys too, if they're there
- Stuffed toys that I purposefully give him so that he will chew and bunny kick
- Cardboard boxes, though less regularly

Other than that, he's chewed on a couple of things:
- Plastic chairs
- A window handle that was right where his cat tree was, so he'd see it all the time when he was just hanging out up there

He's only ever eaten a toy feather... I wasn't looking, so I don't know how it happened. When we play with the wand toy that has feathers, he never seems to purposefully try to eat them, though he licks them on occasion. He's more interested in catching them and then chewing on the plastic/wood handle. I've always assumed he somehow ate it on accident... but, frankly, I don't give him much chance to eat random things. I don't know whether he would if he had free access to his toys all the time. Suffice to say, one trip to the vet to get him to throw a feather up and not knowing whether it would work or not and the consequences it could have if it didn't was enough to keep me thinking about it for months.

But, for instance, I've never seen him interested on plastic, or fabric, or cords. He's shown interest in shoe laces, but only on few occasions and only as we were tying them... other than that, I sometimes leave my shoes around and have never seen him anywhere near them. They don't look like they've been chewed on, either. My previous cat chewed on the laces of a pair of boots I have, so I got used to putting them away every time, but have relaxed with Topaz. It's actually interesting to think about how he does differentiate between strings/sticks that are offered to him (toys) as opposed to other ones that are in his environment (charging cables, shoelaces).

Also, on the topic of teeth health, my friend has a cat that's related to Topaz by blood, on his mom's side, and she had gengivitis when my friend got her. I was the one that noticed something was off because of her bad breath, so when my friend took her to the vet for the first time, I went with her and mentioned it (she's a first time cat mom... I don't have much experience myself, but wanted to be there with her to make sure certain things were looked at). It was only then that she had a look and realized her gums were very inflamed... I'm certain Topaz doesn't have that - he's been checked since, even though the males in his line don't have it (it was his grandmother and his two aunts. His dad is their brother and has never had issues), but I can tell his gums are okay by just looking at them, too. I don't know what other teeth problems he could have, though, I think I'd only be able to recognize gengivitis (if it had the same symptoms, of course). His aunt had almost all of her teeth removed, and she's bound to remove the rest soon (probably early next year), but she's doing very well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
though he licks them on occasion.
Cats tongues have those backward facing little "points" that are sandpaper like, and if he licked a feather that was loose it is very possible it went into his mouth and if he couldn't get rid of it by shaking his head, he'd have swallowed it - I saw Captain do this with some fur he'd licked off of his tail, and although he tried to get rid of it and I also tried to grab ahold of it, he ended up swallowing it. Fortunately it came out the other way lol

He's shown interest in shoe laces, but only on few occasions and only as we were tying them... other than that, I sometimes leave my shoes around and have never seen him anywhere near them. They don't look like they've been chewed on, either. My previous cat chewed on the laces of a pair of boots I have,
Here again, My Captain shows interest in laces only when we're actively tying them.

Suffice to say, I think I take back my initial concern that this is actually a form of, or a low-level, Pica :)

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats tongues have those backward facing little "points" that are sandpaper like, and if he licked a feather that was loose it is very possible it went into his mouth and if he couldn't get rid of it by shaking his head, he'd have swallowed it - I saw Captain do this with some fur he'd licked off of his tail, and although he tried to get rid of it and I also tried to grab ahold of it, he ended up swallowing it. Fortunately it came out the other way lol

Here again, My Captain shows interest in laces only when we're actively tying them.

Suffice to say, I think I take back my initial concern that this is actually a form of, or a low-level, Pica :)
The feather was lose, so yep. I think this might have been what happened, the poor little guy. I'm forever grateful for the vet that got it out, he was such a sweetheart and very kind to me.

Let's hope so! As always, I appreciate the discussion ❤

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The feather was lose, so yep. I think this might have been what happened, the poor little guy. I'm forever grateful for the vet that got it out, he was such a sweetheart and very kind to me.

Let's hope so! As always, I appreciate the discussion ❤
Since now you have it in the back of your mind, you can just monitor him with things and see if he just likes to chew on things which the things he likes is pretty normal my girl does the same thing that your boy was doing with the feather as well.. she will chew it take her paws grab it and pull on it with her teeth.

With pica I would think he would be tearing things up and swallowing stuff often
I saw one pica case and this cat would tear up paper towels, foam from beds and the couch and swallow it. He had to have surgery once because of an obstruction. Another time they were able to scope him and pull it up through his mouth he didn't need surgery that time.. but no matter what this cat just wouldn't stop.. but his owners really didn't keep an eye on him.. or play with him often it was sad..

Anyway I think your boy is more than likely just a normal kitty chewing on toys and just those couple random things (chair and window handle) which the window handle could have been boredom with him laying there and it being right there?? I know like I said Gabby doesn't even chew the rope often but when she does she goes nuts on it lol

Here's a link from another article but his kitty chews on boxes.. doesn't swallow it just chews on them
This article isn't about pica but I wanted to show what another kitty does with chewing too. If that makes sense lol

Last edited:

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since now you have it in the back of your mind, you can just monitor him with things and see if he just likes to chew on things which the things he likes is pretty normal my girl does the same thing that your boy was doing with the feather as well.. she will chew it take her paws grab it and pull on it with her teeth.

With pica I would think he would be tearing things up and swallowing stuff often
I saw one pica case and this cat would tear up paper towels, foam from beds and the couch and swallow it. He had to have surgery once because of an obstruction. Another time they were able to scope him and pull it up through his mouth he didn't need surgery that time.. but no matter what this cat just wouldn't stop.. but his owners really didn't keep an eye on him.. or play with him often it was sad..

Anyway I think your boy is more than likely just a normal kitty chewing on toys and just those couple random things (chair and window handle) which the window handle could have been boredom with him laying there and it being right there?? I know like I said Gabby doesn't even chew the rope often but when she does she goes nuts on it lol

Here's a link from another article but his kitty chews on boxes.. doesn't swallow it just chews on them
This article isn't about pica but I wanted to show what another kitty does with chewing too. If that makes sense lol

[/URL]
Omg, your cat’s name is Gabby? Mine too 😂 well, nickname, from Gabriela. That’s so funny.

I think the chairs were either boredom or because he wanted attention. It’s hard to say whether he ever did it when we weren’t there. But, for instance, the only times he’d try to scratch the couch were when my flatmate was there - she’d always react. He never did it with me. I’m certain he wanted her attention, because she isn’t a cat person so she didn’t just give it naturally.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg, your cat’s name is Gabby? Mine too 😂 well, nickname, from Gabriela. That’s so funny.

I think the chairs were either boredom or because he wanted attention. It’s hard to say whether he ever did it when we weren’t there. But, for instance, the only times he’d try to scratch the couch were when my flatmate was there - she’d always react. He never did it with me. I’m certain he wanted her attention, because she isn’t a cat person so she didn’t just give it naturally.
We adopted her almost a year ago and it only took 3 days for us to know what her name was.. she didn't know her name that was on her papers, or at least she didn't respond at all to it but she was abused by her previous people... 😢 She has a great spoiled full of love life now though ❤ 😺
She is a talker so Gabby was it and the first time I tried it out on her I still remember what I said to her...
"Hey little girl, you like to talk hun, hmm what about Gabby? Do you like Gabby baby?" And she meowed so I took i lt as a yes lol she is about to be 2, and same, Gabriella is her formal name as well lol spelled with 1 more L than your Gabriela

It was probably for attention from her that he wanted and he knew he would get it if he scratched the couch lol
Cats are very intelligent and know what it takes with different people to get their attention lol

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Magnus is a chewer but luckily very good at spitting things out. I think he likes the feeling. He is prone to gingivitis, so we didn't stop all chewing.

We buy thick silvervine sticks when we see them. He likes those.

He loves cardboard I think because it makes a 'pop' feeling. He doesn't chew it off usually, just bites holes into it. Though sometimes he uses his front little teeth to pull things off.

When he was little it was metal. We stopped all those chewing behaviours. The side of the desk, etc...but what helped to stop it was to have some safe chewing things. We even had bought chicken chew sticks for a time (for small dogs).

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
any updates on your cat? mine is currently doing things very similar !
All good over here! It's definitely not pica, just playfulness. He likes biting into hard things and toys, but he doesn't try to eat them - it's happened before on accident, mind you, so I need to be careful.