How To Describe My Cat

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I am new to cat ownership (or being owned by a cat?). Either way, I know a little, but I am definitely still learning. This kitty (who we named Piper) adopted us when she wandered into our garage on a cold day. After no success in finding her family and an unsuccessful home placement, we decided she could just stay with us. I know that her coloring is tortoiseshell and her hair is not short. I don't know if I describe it as long or medium. She also has a short tail. If it's an injury, it is not recent. I am just curious. Any thoughts? Thanks!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A beautiful girl and to me she has Maine Coon looks with the chunky muzzle and 'serious' look. If that's the extent of her tail in the last photo then she probably lost it due to injury or whatever some time in the past.
I hope you stay around and post lots of pics as she deserves to be shown off.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
She is absolutely gorgeous for sure. I don't know any more information but I think she is just stunning.

Tortoiseshell cats are often known for their attitude ("tortitude") - does she have spunky personality traits? My girl Olive is super sweet and cuddly, but also single-minded in what she wants and doesn't let anyone - human or feline - get in her way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mightyboosh mightyboosh She definitely has a serious look. I always had dogs (labs) growing up and even as an adult until 2.5 years ago when my last pup passed away. I am used to big, goofy dogs, so this is new territory! She is sweet though and so quiet unless she wants something...then she starts meowing and chirping at me. Lol!

KarenKat KarenKat Thanks! Funny, but I really wanted to name her Olive. My husband and kids out voted me, so her name is Piper. She hasn't given me a lot of attitude yet, but I'm sure there's time. She is really sweet though. Demanding when she wants something, but sweet. Lol!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s gorgeous! I would describe her as a tortie Domestic Longhair. With her square-shaped face and large paws, I agree with Mightyboosh that she might have some Maine Coon influence.

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one more question (and another picture, because she's just so pretty). She visited the vet this week and the vet took a look at her teeth and commented on how perfect her teeth are with no tartar build up at all. She guessed her age at 1-2 years old, but thought closer to 1. Piper is still very underweight (she was also diagnosed with giardia which we are now treating), but she still weighed just over 8 lbs. How long do cats grow until they are full size typically? The vet also said she thinks her coat will end up being longer as she gets healthier.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Typically cats stop growing around a year, but the giant breeds will grow for a longer time. So, if she does have Maine Coon in her, she could continue growing for up to four years.

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Typically cats stop growing around a year, but the giant breeds will grow for a longer time. So, if she does have Maine Coon in her, she could continue growing for up to four years.
Thanks! I was surprised she was 8 lbs. You can feel every bone in her back and her hips are really prominent (and that's an improvement over 2 weeks ago when she found my garage). So, I was curious to know if she was going to continue growing as well. I guess we will see!