How to deal with the emotional side of taking care of strays?

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am curious as to how this vet online from pictures came to that diagnosis. Also do you know if it was really a vet ? Allot of people online will lie about their credentials etc.

That being said, it sounds like this cat is very ill. Don't let him suffer. Put on a brave face and do what you have to do. Contact Ally Cat Allies if you can and ask them for help. They are a good organization and should be able to at the very least send you in the right direction.

Most people don't know this but a veterinarian has to end suffering if an animal is suffering and that is if you have money or you don't. So, try to talk to a vet first and see if they will euthanize him for you. Explain the situation Go there in person if you must and cry if you must. For the most parts veterinarians are usually inside very kind hearted people who don't do well with other people and other They usually get over it after a while but try to let that fact work for your advantage in getting this poor cat euthanized. An animal control death is not the best. That is why I say that. If you do take him in don't say he is feral. Just say he is a stray. Let them know he is nice. See if they will let you stay with him.

The reason you have to euthanize is because you cannot risk your own cats health. You don't have the money to care for a very ill injured cat and you don't have the room to keep him. It is a very sad fact of life but people suck and sometimes you have to clean up someone else's mess and sometimes that mess is a very sad living breathing little soul that never hurt anyone in the world. It isn't fair and it isn't right and it sucks to say the least. It hurts and rips your heart out but sometimes there just isn't any way to make it work. Sometimes you can try everything and still fail. Letting him suffer is much worse at this point.

We all would love to believe in miracles. I know I would. That somehow the little cat will be miraculously healed by love and good thoughts and feelings and go on to live a beautiful life with a loving family but most of the time it doesn't happen. It rarely happens and if it does it often goes wrong. A cat this injured and sick will need intensive care at home and who knows surgery? What else? You owe it to your cats to take care of them. You cannot subject them to another cat and the threat of disease.

There are always these people online that will say don't euthanize because they want to log off with the good feeling that they saved the cat by telling you that and not worry about it again. Well the reality is that they have delayed the suffering of this poor little cat yet another day after day.

Put on a brave face and do what needs to be done today. Don't worry about how you will feel about it afterwards. Any tears you shed afterwards are for yourself not the cat. He will no longer be suffering. Remember this is about him and not your feelings. That is one of the reasons I .......

I am not trying to be rude or harsh. It is a sucky stupid horrible situation this cat is in and you, but someone has to make a decision hear and help this cat.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with everything @Quiet  has to say. You're the one who sees this cat every day, you're the one who has to risk your own health and the health of your cats if you take him in. It's all too easy for people who don't see him to offer to pay for his treatment, but this isn't a one off collection to pay for surgery, it's months of expensive treatment.

Take him to a vet and if he really has Sporotrichosis and it is going to be as difficult to treat as you think then having him put to sleep would be the kindest thing to do.

If not and he is suffering from something else, then you can get in touch with all those people on Facebook and ask them to help pay for whatever treatment he needs.

Thank you for everything you are doing. I know how heartbreaking this is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharon87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know the person who diagnosed him is a vet because I bring my two kitties to him. He is one of those who actually cares about animals. He rescues street cats and re-homes them. He charges very reasonable/ cheap prices and doesn't ever charge for consultation. That is why I got angry when someone commented like that.

He saw the pictures of the cat and he told me he was sure about the disease. I shall not post said pictures here because quite frankly its bad and some people might not appreciate seeing such pictures and it might offend them. He told me if I bring him to the vet he would euthanize him.

Quiet, you are not being harsh. Whatever you said were facts. Thank you for your words. You made me realize that i'm thinking about my feelings. Me feeling sad about putting him down when in fact this should be about him and his suffering. I feel ashamed for being so selfish. I could have ended his misery earlier but i didn't...

I have been coming back late from work for the past 3 days and I have not seen him since and I will be working late till Friday. That's another 2 days. He usually comes near my area around 7 to 8 in the evening but I have been reaching home around 11 every night. I did go looking for him twice but no signs of him. I cant find him and i am worried sick. I hope I can find him soon... When I do, I wont make the same mistake I made earlier. I will bring him to the vet.

Last edited:

sukeyforcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sharon, Are you doing okay? I think Saturday you might have taken your cat to say goodbye, if you were able to find him. I have been praying for you today. I hope you can do what is best for the kitty, or if you don't find him, please know you did all you could, and that is so much more than anyone else did at all. You gave him comfort. You let him know love. He knew. Do not cry for what you were not able to do. You gave him all you could and he knows that.  You will be the last thing he thinks about. He will wait for you, and say thank you one day.

rena alvarez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
omg  I am so sorry for you... You really had no choice in the matter.  You can't infect your other cats.  They have to come first.  I have 2 indoor cats that i love very much..  I now also have a indoor feral cat.  But if I thought there was any danger to my 2  I would have no choice but to eliminate that danger,  its not fair to them i put them in danger.  I let the one come in because i knew where she came from.  And she was pregnant, and aways seemed scared of the outside.  She picked me.  I had to corral her though and take her to the vet.  I had to be sure there was no danger to my other 2.  Im so sorry you had to put the poor kitty down.  And it does suck not to see her face outside anymore.  I have ferals that just didn't come back one day, and i miss them very much.   But just so you know.  I would have done the same because you had no choice.  I love all animals.  Try not to beat yourself up to much.  You had no choice......