How To Deal With Sexual Aggression In Two Cats

20yrold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am a college student currently returning for Christmas break and I had a bunch of questions to ask before I go see the nurse right after Christmas.

So basically, In October of this year (2017), me and my housemate at college decided to adopt a kitten each: I adopted a male kitten (Uno) and he adopted a female kitten (Ocha). Uno was about 8 weeks old when I got him and Ocha was 7 weeks old when my housemate got her, and we basically got them on the same day. Within 3 days of just hanging out in the same space, both Uno and Ocha got along very well and basically are best friends. During the end of October, my house mate and I both returned to our hometown (NYC) and got them their required shots at a vet.

Fast Forward to December(December 22, 2017), We took the same car back to NYC and had both Uno and Ocha in the same carrier (as we always do when we returned during the end of October and for Thanksgiving break) and they were perfectly fine. My housemate asked me to watch both cats the first night as he had to take care of some stuff and would not be able to watch his cat, so I took both Uno and Ocha to my house, which is perfectly normal as they are in the same house back at college basically 24/7. It was not until I saw that my male cat (Uno) bite Ocha by the nape of her neck that I that something was a bit off. He continued to do this multiple times and I knew it had something to do with his sexual aggression, and so I just simply would pick him up and place him a few feet away from Ocha (female) and he kept doing this but eventually stopped. After the night (which I stayed up for the majority of the night watching them) they were back to their normal selves, play fighting and running around just like at our college home. When my housemate picked Ocha up and brought her back to his house, everything seemed fine, but this was the first time they were really separated. Anyways, he had to bring her to my house again, (December 24, 2017) and the same exact thing happened where my male cat (Uno) would try to bite her by the neck. I did the same exact thing where I would simply pick him up (without being aggressive) and move him away, and he eventually stopped doing this again.

I am going to get Uno neutered before this break, but I read that neutered cats may sometimes still be sexually aggressive. I was worried that when bringing them back to our college house after Christmas break, that this problem would persist and I would not be able to oversee and manage such a problem while busy with school. The whole point of having both cats was to ensure they wouldn't get lonely while both my housemate and I were off at school.

They are currently sleeping right next to each other, and Uno and Ocha seem to be completely back to normal, but I want to find solutions to make sure that their friendship isn't jeopardized by my male cat Uno being too sexually aggressive.

I am sorry for the long wall of text but I am hoping that someone can help me out, they are both very sweet kittens, and are right around 4-5 months now, please someone help me with a solution.

Thank you so much.

A Concerned Cat Owner!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

20yrold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
***Correction, I meant to say vet instead of "nurse" in the first line. SORRY!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :welcomesign::hithere:

For right now, I'd advise to keep the two of them separated (assuming that both still need to get fixed, not just Uno). Kittens can become pregnant at as young as 4 months old, so having these two together right now could leave you with a pregnant cat an kittens to deal with in a couple of month's time.

As far as the sexual aggression goes, it will almost certainly start to resolve itself after Uno's been neutered, though it will take a few weeks for the hormone to subside and rebalance. The two of them sound like great friends, and there's no reason to think that you'll have a long term issue :)

20yrold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :welcomesign::hithere:

For right now, I'd advise to keep the two of them separated (assuming that both still need to get fixed, not just Uno). Kittens can become pregnant at as young as 4 months old, so having these two together right now could leave you with a pregnant cat an kittens to deal with in a couple of month's time.

As far as the sexual aggression goes, it will almost certainly start to resolve itself after Uno's been neutered, though it will take a few weeks for the hormone to subside and rebalance. The two of them sound like great friends, and there's no reason to think that you'll have a long term issue :)
Thanks you for your reply - I have a follow up question - Assuming I get Uno neutered right after Christmas (December 26-December 29th), can I immediately introduce him back to Ocha, or is that still a risk and would that warrant unwanted behavior between the two? Also would keeping them separated for a couple of weeks make them unfamiliar with eachother, making them not friendly to each other?

Thank you so much.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Uno's behaviour should start to improve pretty quickly, so (provided Ocha has been spayed) I see no issue in them being together once he's fully over the anasthetic (they can be a bit dopey and out of it for the first 24hrs). Be prepred for Ocha to be a little spooked by the cone/post surgical collar if Uno has one. It won't necessarily happen, but it is a possibility. Non recognition aggression is a possibility too, though I've never had to deal with it in a lifetime of cat ownership.

Your vet will be the best person to advise you on how to proceed. If the worst come to the worst, you may have to reintroduce the two of them. Hopeully it won't come to that though.

20yrold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Uno's behaviour should start to improve pretty quickly, so (provided Ocha has been spayed) I see no issue in them being together once he's fully over the anasthetic (they can be a bit dopey and out of it for the first 24hrs). Be prepred for Ocha to be a little spooked by the cone/post surgical collar if Uno has one. It won't necessarily happen, but it is a possibility.
Once again I really appreciate your quick replies and helpful answers. So even if the male cat is neutered, if the female cat is not spayed, he will still be sexually aggressive towards her? Because in that case I have to tell my friend to also quickly get her spayed in order to make sure that there are no sexual encounters between our two kittens. Is it some sort of pheromone or scent that the unspayed female cat gives off that triggers male cats to become "excited"?

Thank you so much once again.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YES, you definitely have to get the female spayed. Her hormones will be part of Uno's trigger - he's basically going through mating rituals, by the sound of it. If you don't want imminent kittens, fixing BOTH cats is by far the best option. Besides, females in heat are NOT easy to live with, and being in heat can stunt their growth, as they get so fixated and stressed out by their biological urges that they don't eat enough and burn through what they do take in far faster. A cat in heat 'calls' too - a very loud, persistent meowing designed to tell all the males in the neighbourhood that she's 'looking for love'. Not fun to live with, and it could trigger noise complaints too.

20yrold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YES, you definitely have to get the female spayed. Her hormones will be part of Uno's trigger - he's basically going through mating rituals, by the sound of it. If you don't want imminent kittens, fixing BOTH cats is by far the best option. Besides, females in heat are NOT easy to live with, and being in heat can stunt their growth, as they get so fixated and stressed out by their biological urges that they don't eat enough and burn through what they do take in far faster. A cat in heat 'calls' too - a very loud, persistent meowing designed to tell all the males in the neighbourhood that she's 'looking for love'. Not fun to live with, and it could trigger noise complaints too.
Got it - So based off your amazing answers on this thread, Uno and Ocha should be separated for this break until they both get neutered and spayed. Further, this separation will not affect their relationship on a friendship level and upon returning to our college home (January 16th, 2018), although it might take some time, they will be back to their best friend relationship status. It is also key to note that they will continue to be sexually aggressive until they BOTH get neutered.
I also had one final question - is there any way to ensure that they don't forget about each other (such as having a towel with one of their scents or something of the sorts)? Or is 2 weeks of separation not long enough for them to forget about each other?

Thanks a ton for these very helpful answers, I really learned a lot and I only want whats best for my cat and his best friend.

The one in grey is Uno and the other is Ocha. They are currently both sleeping and cuddling with eachother and I really hope they stay like this after the neutering/spaying.

Attachments

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are just GORGEOUS :lovecat3:

Yep, you'e got it right :thumbsup: To help them not forget each other, keep doing scent swapping (swapping blankets, toys etc between the two of them). Cardboard scratchers are fantastc for this - cats have scent glands between their toes, so every time they scratch, that object gets impregnated with their scent ;)

Another trick is to rub each kitten down with a little vanilla extract on a clean washcloth, swap cloths (so Uno gets Ocha's and vice versa) and rub down again. This way, they'll smell the same when reintroduced, so reducing the chances of any issues.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recently had one of our kittens fixed (he was neutered) due to him showing signs of sexual interest in the other kitten (she will be spayed in another month). It took about a week for those signs to fade but that might have been because we caught it in the very beginning and nipped it in the bud (or is it nipped his buds?) before it caused problems.

20yrold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are just GORGEOUS :lovecat3:

Yep, you'e got it right :thumbsup: To help them not forget each other, keep doing scent swapping (swapping blankets, toys etc between the two of them). Cardboard scratchers are fantastc for this - cats have scent glands between their toes, so every time they scratch, that object gets impregnated with their scent ;)

Another trick is to rub each kitten down with a little vanilla extract on a clean washcloth, swap cloths (so Uno gets Ocha's and vice versa) and rub down again. This way, they'll smell the same when reintroduced, so reducing the chances of any issues.
Thank you so much for your replies, I feel a lot more knowledgeable about this stuff and it has definitely calmed me down.

I will definitely be posting more on this thread after I get Uno neutered and Ocha spayed - hopefully you are around to answer anymore questions I have.

Thank you so much and I will definitely be using this forum a lot!