How to deal with cat health anxiety? (rant warning)

skygem

Guardian of a little old grandpa named Rayleigh
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, so I've mentioned this a few times in the past but I'm pretty new to cat ownership and even though it's an absolute delight, I've found my anxiety has been through the roof in some aspects as well, especially in regards to my boy's health.

I knew going in that I would probably be dealing with some health issues since I was set on adopting an older cat, but I guess I just wasn't expecting to have as many problems as I had right out the gate.

I've had Rayleigh for about 6 weeks now, and in that time he's had an ear infection and been diagnosed with IBD, and even though logically I know those aren't world-shattering issues and that they probably aren't my fault, I just kind of feel like I've been failing as a cat guardian? We've had to go to the vet like 4 times since I've had him, and it's just been so emotionally exhausting (not to mention financially exhausting too. my savings account is running a bit low atm but that's a whole other issue). Every time he does something new that I haven't seen before, I'm anxious that it's a sign of some other underlying health problem, and of course google always tells you about the scariest possibilities first, like cancer.

And it really doesn't help that I just do not trust the vet I have for him, who almost seems like he doesn't have time for me? I feel like there's just so much information he hasn't told me about, and it's left me feeling really unsure about how to care for my boy. When I went to get blood tests for Rayleigh, I was told the dr would call me the next day with the results, and even after a week had passed, I still hadn't gotten a call. I had to hear from the freaking vet tech who called to check up on my boy that the vet had recommended I get an abdominal ultrasound for him. Same thing happened with the results of the ultrasound...he told me afterwards that the initial results showed IBD but that he would call me the next day with the full results. I waited all the next day and didn't receive any calls. I got home from work...and found a two sentence email from the vet clinic with the "results" which was basically just a rehash of what the vet had told me the day before.

They had given me a month supply of budesonide tablets for his IBD, and when they run out I'm planning on going to a different clinic in my area for a full checkup and getting my refills from there instead.

Sorry for ranting, and sorry if this isn't the right place for this thread, I guess I'm just at the end of my rope and looking for some tips on how to manage my anxiety.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are doing the right thing by changing vets, your current one seems indifferent to your worries. Cats pick up on our anxiety and get stressed themselves so try to relax. There are lots of cats with IBD on this site who are doing well, have a look around, read some of the advice offered, you are doing a good job caring for your cat.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in the SAME EXACT CAMP as you! I had a cat for 10 years and he's had minimal issues but this past month since I adopted my 2nd cat, both cats started having random small issues (in relative to other things). My new cat has gone to the vet 3 times, my older boy 3 times, plus lots of email exchanges and paying for prescription stuff. My finances are also a bit strained lately due to a large expense related to a family matter I had to help out so I am here with you 100%. I swear everytime I kind of dread seeing some new action or spot on them, and I'd hate to think my anxiety and stress is gonna cause them issues as well. Feel free to DM me anytime if you need someone to vent or talk to!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I also recommend a new vet, which I have done numerous times in my life. Remember that all the medical records are your property and have to be given to you or sent to the new vet. Your ultrasound was recent and you don't want the next vet doing it all over again just because he did not have the records.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's good that you're concerned with your cat's health, but anxiety won't fix anything, for you or your cat. Anxiety will only make things worse. Take a breath-a really deep breath- and instead of letting worry be your focus, focus on your cat and observe what's going on. Watch your cat to see how things are going. Ask yourself, "Is my cat improving? Does it seem stressed? When I try this, what happens? What can I do to make things better?" And so on.

Realize your cat isn't the vet's only patient. The vet may have a very busy practice. Most vets rely on their staff to relay info to clients. The staff might not be good with communications.

When it comes to communications, it's a two way street. If the clinic doesn't contact you when promised, call them. If they don't give you the info you need, ask questions. They can't read your mind and have other clients to deal with. When you simply wait and do not initiate contact, they'll think you're not concerned or simply don't care- whether that's true or not. Your cat is your responsibility. No one will care for your cat more than you.

Switching vets won't solve the problem if you don't hold up your half of the conversation. So, grab the tiger's tail and call the clinic. Ask questions. Get the info you need. Your kitty is depending on you.