How to cope

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Since this is a feline dedicated website I'm hoping I can get some advice from fellow crazy cat ladies/gentlemen. A few days ago I mentioned something about me possibly being forced by my parents to go out of town for Christmas vacation for 2 weeks. I talked to my parents and told them 2 weeks is a long time to leave my cat alone, and they said we may just be away for 3-4 days. I have left my cat alone for 3 days but I left a clean box, enough food and water. I know she'll be ok but the problem with me is that I have a hard time coping when I have to leave her alone for a few days. I get emotional, and I'm just not comfortable leaving her alone. I don't have any kids. I've had her since she was only 3 weeks old so I'm very attached to her and I worry a lot. Someone (who I deeply trust) did offer to come in everyday to check up on her but she's not very fond of strangers so she will most likely hide. I'd rather spend Christmas alone than leave my cat alone for 3 or 4 days not knowing if she's ok. If any of you are strongly attached to your cats how do you cope when you have to be away for a couple of days? Or what do you do to make sure they're safe when you're out? Thanks in advance.

snufkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I completely understand how this is. When my husband and I started working, we were worried about our Bertil being by himself too much. And we actually got two more cats. So if and when we do leave town, we know they have each other. I understand that Christmas is soon and maybe your fuzzy might night want another cat, or you can't have one. Is it possible for your cat to come with you? If not, cats handle themselves pretty well. I like to leave the blinds up for the cats so they can look out of the window when I'm gone. Maybe there's some things you can do like that around the house that'll make you feel better about leaving your fuzzy alone for a few days?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I would love to adopt a new cat in our home but unfortunately my cat does not get along with other cats, or other animals. I know it'd take a while for her to adjust, and introduction is a slow process that even if I adopt a new cat lets say next week for example, she may not be used to the new cat by Christmas time. And I would not want to come home to a beat up cat LOL I do plan on maybe adopting a new cat in the future but once I can financially support 2. At this time my parents are helping me out with her food and litter which I am very grateful for. Maybe once I have my own job and prepare ourselves for a new cat introduction then yes. :)

Anyway back to the main topic, sadly I cannot take her with me. I know while being out my parents and relatives will want to go out and tour a couple places and I'd have to leave her in a carrier until we get back because I can't let her roam around in an unfamiliar home that is not mine to begin with, and the poor thing might be locked the whole day. Besides I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving her alone at a place where a lot of theft happens in that area! I would hide her in a baby's moby wrap if I have to ;) LOL Ugh. I think the only way I would feel better is if I install cameras around just to keep an eye on her and hire securities to guard the house 24 hours until we get back! LOL

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our current cat is friendly, but our last one wasn't. We often left him for a week at a time with a cat sitter (a friend's daughter or my mother-in-law) coming twice a day to feed him, clean his litter box and just hang around for a bit. He was anti-social at first, but would warm up a little and come out to see what was going on after the first two days or so. As time went by, he became very friendly with my m-i-l. Having a trusted friend come every day sounds like a good solution for you.

Not all cats appreciate a feline companion. We ended up dividing our house for a few years after taking in a former neighbor's cat, because our last one wouldn't accept a rival. Mogli was adopted out by the shelter as an "only cat" after his first owners surrendered him for not getting along with their other cat. The shelter unsuccessfully tried to introduce him to other cats - something the people there have a lot of experience with - but realized after a few months that it simply wouldn't work. I'd therefore be extremely cautious about adding a "friend" if your cat is used to being a singleton.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a house sitter who comes and stays here; basically a friend in her 20s who still lives at home so she appreciates a little time away. 

In the past I've had people come in.  If you have someone come in at least once a day she will be fine!  My girls aren't social with our house sitter after YEARS of her house sitting; but I know they have clean litter boxes, fresh food and water and if they want attention she is there.  I leave out an unwashed shirt or two that DH and I have worn.  Some cats find them comforting with your scent on them.  I bet in some ways; they enjoy the quiet!

I do miss them; I'm a stay-at-home mom so I'm with them all the time.  But they are fine; we travel multiple times a year for varying lengths of time.  The first night home they might seek out more attention but after that we are back to normal.  I do leave our house sitter some written instructions: the cat's routine, any special things to note (Noodles will eat string/ribbon) and contact info for where we are.  You can also leave your vet's number on there if it makes you feel better.  

silmarien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since this is a feline dedicated website I'm hoping I can get some advice from fellow crazy cat ladies/gentlemen. A few days ago I mentioned something about me possibly being forced by my parents to go out of town for Christmas vacation for 2 weeks. I talked to my parents and told them 2 weeks is a long time to leave my cat alone, and they said we may just be away for 3-4 days. I have left my cat alone for 3 days but I left a clean box, enough food and water. I know she'll be ok but the problem with me is that I have a hard time coping when I have to leave her alone for a few days. I get emotional, and I'm just not comfortable leaving her alone. I don't have any kids. I've had her since she was only 3 weeks old so I'm very attached to her and I worry a lot. Someone (who I deeply trust) did offer to come in everyday to check up on her but she's not very fond of strangers so she will most likely hide. I'd rather spend Christmas alone than leave my cat alone for 3 or 4 days not knowing if she's ok. If any of you are strongly attached to your cats how do you cope when you have to be away for a couple of days? Or what do you do to make sure they're safe when you're out? Thanks in advance.
Dunno if this would help but I;m super attached to my two babies as well, and I would just bring them along with me! I know this isn't always an option, but that's how I deal with the separation issue. I flew my kitten to Kansas with me to visit relatives, then flew back with her plus a new kitten I'd rescued there. It costs a lot with airlines ($250 round trip to bring her in the cabin) and I broke the rules and hid her in my coat during the flight (lol) after asking my seatmates if they minded (none did), so I'm a weirdo.

I harness trained them and gave them tags with collars to ensure they would get back to me if they escaped, but neither wanted to escape, just explore, when I let them out at the airport. I also did use a mild tranquilizer on them, which worked mostly. Neither kitten protested while in the carrier.

Your cat will be fine alone though. She will just need extra TLC when you get back. Good luck!