How To Cook For Cats?

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitties Scooch and Moosh are still not eating different brands of wet food. I've decided to try to cook for them instead. I baked them a piece of plain Tilapia fish, and neither went for it. This morning, I baked a plain slice of chicken breast for them, and my boy Scooch ate a few pieces of it, while Moosh, my girl, just sniffed it and walked away.

I didn't use anything on the chicken, no salt/pepper/spice. Could that be the reason they didn't have more interest in it, because it didn't have a smell to it? Is it safe to give salt, pepper, or spices to cats? Thanks for any input.

921.JPG

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Scooch - my guess is that they're just not used to the new treats that you are giving them. Some cats take a while to adjust to new foods. Don't add any human spices to the new foods. You can add things made for cats like FortiFlora, catnip, broths, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, catnip! I have that. Thanks!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they not eating at all or are you trying to get a couple kibble addicts to eat wet food?

EDIT: In other words, is there a medical reason they aren't eating wet food that also needs to be addressed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are they not eating at all or are you trying to get a couple kibble addicts to eat wet food?

EDIT: In other words, is there a medical reason they aren't eating wet food that also needs to be addressed?
I've posted their story a few times here. Both were raised on Fancy Feast and for a year or so now, they reject it. I've tried all the expensive and cheap brands and they don't like any of them, especially anything grain free - they sniff and walk away. I wouldn't call them kibble addicts. They eat the kibble I give them (Blue Buffalo, Friskies, Purina Naturals - will be experimenting with new brands soon) but they eat the kibble because they refuse the wet food. I doubt that either is sick - they poop, pee, play, drink water, all like normal, so I don't want to waste money at the vet unless they are lethargic and not just being picky with their food. I hate to have them eat just kibble because it gives them hard stools. I want to get some actual meat into them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A couple pieces of meat as at treat is fine but not as the only food the cats get. Meat on its own with nothing else is not a proper diet for cats. You need to make the meat into a complete diet by adding supplements. The easiest way to do this is to use a pre-mix such as EZComplete.