How To Consult Spraying?

AWeirdMIX

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two female cats, unfixed, that stay indoors at all time.
A month ago, my Abuela and my tia came to visit and the cats just went INSANE. They peed and pooped wherever, no matter how clean their litter box was, no matter how much we spritzed them with water. I thought the solution would be when my Abuela and tia flew back to Mexico, but even after they were gone, the cats wouldn't stop.
They have peed on any blankets left on the ground, they find ways into my brother's room and make a mess there, in the past two weeks, we've had to wash hundreds of sheets because the cats won't stop peeing on them.
I'm scared that I'll have to get rid of them if they don't stop, and I really love them, so does anybody know what the issue is and how I can consult it? Thanks!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
My guess is that when your relatives came they felt their "territory" was threatened, so they sprayed to mark it, this is common in unfixed cats. After a cat sprays something, even if it has been washed with soap and water they can still smell their scent on it, which makes it more likely they might spray it again, which is why you should try cleaning it with a urine-specific cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Urine-Off. Additionally, you should take both cats to the vet to run a urinalysis to check for a UTI, crystals in the urine, and the urine pH, as well as to get them spayed. Spaying your cats will help to prevent behavior like spraying, as well as health issues such as pyometra and mammary gland tumors, potentially life-threatening conditions.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Second the spaying idea. It's best choice for their health, and your home.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely take them to the vet to rule out a UTI or other urinary issues. Meanwhile clean your home top to bottom with an enzymatic cleaner and plug in some Feliway plug ins. While they are at the vet schedule appointments to get them spayed. With the overpopulation of cats and with risk of cancer and pyometra it is 100% your responsibility as a cat owner to spay them for your health and your sanity. Please do it asap. If you let us know what city you are in we can help find a low cost spay/neuter clinic if money is an issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AWeirdMIX

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My guess is that when your relatives came they felt their "territory" was threatened, so they sprayed to mark it, this is common in unfixed cats. After a cat sprays something, even if it has been washed with soap and water they can still smell their scent on it, which makes it more likely they might spray it again, which is why you should try cleaning it with a urine-specific cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Urine-Off. Additionally, you should take both cats to the vet to run a urinalysis to check for a UTI, crystals in the urine, and the urine pH, as well as to get them spayed. Spaying your cats will help to prevent behavior like spraying, as well as health issues such as pyometra and mammary gland tumors, potentially life-threatening conditions.
Okay, I will definitely try that out.
Yes, we really need to spay both of them. One of them has already been pregnant once and the other one if actually her daughter. We had an appointment for the two of them, but it was canceled, so we're going to bring them in later this week. Thank you!