How to clean kitten's eyes?

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. My kitten had a problem with her eyes. The vet gave us an antibiotic ointment and the problem seems to be gone now, but her eyes still look very bad due to the tear stains she has had since birth. Can you please advise how to clean the fur under her eyes to remove stains? Please help, I am really desperate, I tried so many wipes from Angel's eyes to some other stuff, and whitening shampoo, but nothing seems to help. I used black tea bags to resolve her eye problem at some stage, so I am not really sure if these stains are from tea or from tears. Maybe something like oats would help? Or maybe baking soda? I would appreciate any information or help on how to clean her fur fast.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I looked around this site and didn't really find a whole lot. Perhaps, you did the same? TCS also has an article about this (see link below), but one of the products suggested in the article has a broken link, so I found it on the internet and also provided it below.
Tear Stains In Cats (including 5 Actionable Treatment Tips) - TheCatSite
Always Bright Eyes Tear Stain Remover For Dogs

Also, I know I have seen posiepurrs posiepurrs offer some stain removal tips to others, so perhaps they can respond to your post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I looked around this site and didn't really find a whole lot. Perhaps, you did the same? TCS also has an article about this (see link below), but one of the products suggested in the article has a broken link, so I found it on the internet and also provided it below.
Tear Stains In Cats (including 5 Actionable Treatment Tips) - TheCatSite
Always Bright Eyes Tear Stain Remover For Dogs

Also, I know I have seen posiepurrs posiepurrs offer some stain removal tips to others, so perhaps they can respond to your post.
Thanks so much for your reply. I hope I can find the way to clean the fur under her eyes. I tried to clean it with some apple cider vinegar this morning, but it didn't help much.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I have had some success with giving purified water vs. tap water to help reduce (or eliminate) tear stains :)
Occasionally, there are situations where the structure of the tear duct is off and will produce the stains no matter what, but daily cleaning of the area can minimize long term staining.
What kind of food are you feeding? What are the ingredients?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can get eye wipes that are for pets. I think that would be best. The staining is just visual. It's not harming her. It's pretty normal for white pets.
Probably, you could even cut the wipes and only use a portion of them every day.

I think vinegar near the eyes would be uncomfortable/dangerous. Anything we wouldn't put near our own eyes, we shouldn't put near a cat's eyes.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The staining is just visual. It's not harming her. It's pretty normal for white pets.
:yeah: Exactly, the stain will not harm her.

Our previous vet told us to never use Angels' Eyes. She recommended a round cotton pad, not a cotton ball. The type of pad one would use to take off make-up and some warm water. If you keep this up on a regular basis it should help with the staining. But don't overdo cleaning the eyes either. Best of luck and she's positively precious. :lovecat3: