How To Clean Eye Gunk (without Being Clawed To Shreds)?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
IMG_1646.JPG
I noticed today that Charlie appears to have some crust by his eye. I attached a picture to show this. I tried wiping it off with a damp kleenex, but whenever I got close to his eye, Charlie tried to bite or scratch me, probably because he got nervous (with me being so close to his face). I was wondering if you guys have any tips for cleaning around the eyes, and how to make it less stressful for kitties.

Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mine don't like me removing gunk either. I usually just do a quick flick over it with my finger. Most of the time it is a hard crusty and flakes right off. Sometimes it takes two rubs and sometimes they run but then rub off what I lossened.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only reason to remove it is cosmetic. This is the feline equivalent of "sleep in your eyes," except that it's outside of the eye (which is why it doesn't need removing). Cat tears turn this color on exposure to air, so you notice them, that's all.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That said, I suspect that it wasn't having your hand near Charlie's face that spooked him, but the tissue. Since this isn't something like pus, that you don't want to touch, there's no reason you shouldn't try to gently (and cautiously!) remove it with just your finger. Just be prepared to back off quickly if Charlie seems uncomfortable with it.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
That said, I suspect that it wasn't having your hand near Charlie's face that spooked him, but the tissue. Since this isn't something like pus, that you don't want to touch, there's no reason you shouldn't try to gently (and cautiously!) remove it with just your finger. Just be prepared to back off quickly if Charlie seems uncomfortable with it.

Margret
Thanks, Margret, I was just using the tissue because I thought it would be more hygienic. But, since it's cosmetic only, do you think it's okay to just leave it? I'd hate to stress Charlie out unnecessarily.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is absolutely okay to leave it. It only needs to be removed if it's actually collecting in the corner of his eye, making him uncomfortable, and I suspect that if that happens he'll clean it himself, just the way you remove "sleep in your eyes."

Margret

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was just using the tissue because I thought it would be more hygienic.
I remember many years ago when we rescued our first Persian our vet told us specifically not to use kleenex, something about the fibers I believe. She recommended using a warm wash cloth. I also use warm water on a cotton round, not a cotton ball.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I remember many years ago when we rescued our first Persian our vet told us specifically not to use kleenex, something about the fibers I believe. She recommended using a warm wash cloth. I also use warm water on a cotton round, not a cotton ball.
Thanks, Neely. I wasn't aware of that.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I have one cat who fights having her eyes cleaned with a tissue or washcloth. I've found she tolerates a Q-tip much better. Just approach the corner of her eye with the Q-tip running along side her nose so nothing is directly in front of her eyes. I do dampen the cotton first because it seems to clean the gunk off better.

Yes, it is cosmetic, but I think it's also more comfortable for the kitties not to have that crusty stuff in the corner of their eyes or stuck to the fur under their eyes. I try to keep my kitty's eyes clean because she's one of my show cats and judges really don't like to see poorly groomed cats.