How to Choose homes for kittens.

rosieposie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the best way to choose homes for kittens. We had homes for 4 but 1 decided he no longer wanted a kitten because of the dog they have.

The people that wanted 2 have no chance of ever getting a kitten from us,

And a friend of mine is taking my black nosed boy. Even tho i am making excuses for this boy not to be rehomed.

Please someone give me a check list.

jbsmomto1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well you can ask these questions:

Do they own or rent their home? if they rent what is the pet policy, are they able to show you their lease so you can verify that what they are telling you is accurate.

If said kitten gets sick and even for reg vet care, will they be able to afford this, without scrimping on the important things EVER.

What are their values on spay and neuter? If they don't agree with it than no kitten.

What about other pets, have they had other pets, where are they now?

Do they have kids?

What will they do if kitten doesn't work out? rehoming a kitten isn't easy (would you be willing to take back if it didn't work out?)

Will the kitten be indoors or outdoors?

Are their windows screened (especially if they live in an apt high up)

just basic things like that. You are asking for a fee right, not just giving away? More people are willing to care for better if there is a initial cost invested. (here in my area anyway)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosieposie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes am asking for a fee and 100% the kitten can come back. No matter what age the cat my doors are open forever.

Thank you for the list of questions. I will also ask what would happen if a child came into their lives or more children because over here that always seems to be an issue. Babies are born animals are thrown away like rubbish

jbsmomto1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RosiePosie

Yes am asking for a fee and 100% the kitten can come back. No matter what age the cat my doors are open forever.

Thank you for the list of questions. I will also ask what would happen if a child came into their lives or more children because over here that always seems to be an issue. Babies are born animals are thrown away like rubbish
this is true here also, suddenly a baby is expected and cats are tossed out by their tails, excuses such as "we don't have time" "we got new furniture and they don't match" (yes I have heard that)...its disgusting how many people think pets are so dispensable

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosieposie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We dont mind keeping all the kittens and have made sure we can afford it and the vet bills. The biggest expense for us will be when they need to get fixed and injections but nothing is impossible for us.

jbsmomto1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bottle feeders in my area are few and far between. I only do bottle feeders, I tried taking a mom and her babies once but a thunderstorm sent her racing off. I raised her 4 (but we lost one due to fks) until they were weaned. I also do not have any cats that live in my house all the time.

B/c I have no cats, my orphans do not get interaction with other cats until after they are weaned. I can't have older cats b/c I have a parrot (who could do some serious damage to a cat and the cat to him) and I have 2 dogs, it's actually my poodle who snuggles and potties the babies, if she could lactate she would feed em as well, she is amazing with the babies . So I keep my bottle feeders until they are weaned and have refused bottles for 7 days. Than from here they go to the next foster home with other cats and kittens where they will learn the rules of being a cat. Things that neither I nor Ruby can teach them.

Anyway, my point? If you enjoyed feeding these babies as much as I do, why not call a rescue in your area and offer to bottle feed orphaned babies, its so much fun, rewarding and when you can kiss them on their wee heads and send them on their way you KNOW you have done something right...several things actually. I get the best of both worlds by doing rescue, we get to have cats even for a short time, but we also don't have any fear of the parrot hurting a baby that is not able to walk around the house.....and it really is a lot of fun to watch them grow from itty bitty, blind, deaf and totally helpless, to independant babies that act like big cats, climbs my walls, drive me crazy etc etc.

I have a blog that I started when I got my first rescues not long ago, If you would like the link to read more about it and my adventures let me know.

teamcarp33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always ask for a vet reference. Then I call their vet and make sure all current and past animals were spayed/neutered, kept up to date on vaccines, and were always in good condition and received the care they needed throughout their lives!