how to catch the feral cat

malish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend is feeding 4 feral cats.  She managed take 3 of them to Animal Control for spray & neuter and they returned them back.  The forth cat is very agressive (female) and she is getting kittens every half of year.  The first problem is give away the kittens.  But the main problem to catch this cat and get it sprayed.  She tried the cage, she tried the different treats to lure her in. Nothing works (cat is too smart). Now she get advice to get the fish net to catch her in, but not sure if she could make it.  Is there on the market something like sleeping pills for the cats, so she can feed it to her and get her to Animal Control for spray?  She is agressive now, especially with the kittens and she doesn't let the other three cats (that are neutered) to come close to food and to house.  Does someone has an advice?

billdolfski

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish that I did but it seems like she's tried everything I would have.  Sounds like the real problem is exactly what you said, too smart.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Some vets will prescribe a sedative for cats that won't go in carriers and who freak out at the vet. They won't all do it but it's worth calling and asking the vet with Animal Control if he or she will help.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt you will find a vet who will prescribe a sedative.  It can be very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing as you have no idea how the cat will react.  Also if you do not end up trapping the cat and the sedative takes affect then you could be putting the cat in danger for predators.

Have you tried a drop trap?  Also a tip for trapping in a humane trap is to start feeding the cat in the unset trap.  Start with the food just outside the trap and gradually move it back.  This can take 7-10 days.  Once the cat is eating in the back of the trap, then set the trap. 

Using a net is also very difficult and you might injure the cat. 

I commend you for working so hard to get all of the cats spayed/neutered.  I had a feral that took me almost 2 years to trap. I just kept trying and eventually he went in one day.

Keep trying and keep us updated.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt you will find a vet who will prescribe a sedative.  It can be very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing as you have no idea how the cat will react.  Also if you do not end up trapping the cat and the sedative takes affect then you could be putting the cat in danger for predators.
I didn't think of that. Scratch the sedative idea then!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you the everyone for replies.  Well, I have to tell that she tried everything, including try to feed in the trap.  It doesn't work for this particular cat.  The woman is desperate and I think she would try the net or something that can be risky because the situation with kittens and also it doesn't let to feed the other cats.  I don't know how I can help her.  I was helping to catch the kittens and the new ones almost grew up to catch them and give to people or to shelter.  And the woman says that she is already pregnant again.  Thank you, again!  If the anyone has some new suggestion, I would be very thankful!  There is the real problem with feral cats.  I feed one too (old one) plus I have my own pet.   If not the kittens, it would not be that big problem.  Thanks!

newt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She might want to try using a drop trap. Go to The website for Alley Cat Allies where they have pictures and directions on how to use one. She would have to feed all the cats under it for several days and then trip the trap. She will be able to let the already fixed cats go and use the 'door' so the cat she wants goes into a box trap. She will probably have to borrow one from someone or make one. They are expensive to purchase.

Newt

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She might want to try using a drop trap. Go to The website for Alley Cat Allies where they have pictures and directions on how to use one. She would have to feed all the cats under it for several days and then trip the trap. She will be able to let the already fixed cats go and use the 'door' so the cat she wants goes into a box trap. She will probably have to borrow one from someone or make one. They are expensive to purchase.

Newt
I had asked about a drop trap, but she said they have tried everything.  Some rescue groups or humane societies might be able to loan or rent one.  Also there are lots of videos on how to make one yourself.

newt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could take a month of feeding under a drop trap before you get results. If you ONLY feed all the cats under the drop trap. Eventually you will succeed.