How to care for 22-yr-old blind cat on 4-hr drive

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The last time I drove this long with my cat, he was only ten. Now he's 22 and, although otherwise very healthy, he is mostly blind. We'll be driving for four hours to our new place. He'll be in a carrier (which is already his much-loved sleeping spot). I want to know what time to stop feeding him the day before, also when the last water should be, or, should I be giving him water along the way? It'll be around 50 and raining, we'll heat the truck to about 60. Also wondering about a litter box. I know some cats can handle several hours straight shot in the carrier, but jeez, he's old. All advice welcome.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
There may be some things in this article that are applicable - also, at his age I'm not sure I'd stop feeding him, especially since it's only four hours.

Traveling With Cats [Inc. 36 actionable tips] – TheCatSite Articles

Can you give him a self-heating pad in the carrier? I'm not suggesting this one, just using it as an example.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G45YZ1S/?tag=thecatsite

Also, do you utilize cat music? or low volume classical harp music? It may be useful for him to help offset the road noise, especially when big trucks/semi's pass you.

This is stated that it's for a kitten but can have some useful info
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a wonderful article, thank you so much! and I have a recording of a cat purring, that might work too.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When we traveled about 12 hours in a car with three cats, we put a bunch of shredded newspaper in the bottom of the cage just in case anyone had an accident. How often does your old guy use the litterbox right now? Of course, he won't be eating or drinking for the trip, but he might still need to go if cats are anything like older humans. I would stop giving him anything by mouth at least by midnight the night before just to be safe. I know for a dental, they have us stop everything by 6 p.m. the day before and then they can't eat or drink when they get home, so they go a very long time without food.