How To Bring In My Stray Cat With An Older Cat?

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding ( and loving and bedding) a stray cat for 5 months and he has turned into an amazingly sweet cat. I've tried to find him a home, but I want him to be an indoor-only cat.
I wonder if anyone has ever brought in a stray (already vetted and neutered!) into their home with another cat?
I hate to take him to the shelter 'cuz he wouldn't do well in a cage. And, well, I think I want to keep him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is pretty cute, isn't he? I read the article, but it didn't really address my problem.
Do you know of anyone you can point me to that has done this?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous! If he is that sweet I don't think it will be too difficult!
Have they seen each other?

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you think that if I brought the stray (BOB) in in a crate and put him in the room for a bit (then take him outside again) that would help them adjust?

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I've brought in 5 cats from the street in my adult life (so not including the cats we had when I lived with my parents).

How long ago was he vetted and neutered? I'm assuming that you are able to pet him and that he hasn't been in the house yet? You said you'd vetted and bedded him so I just want a little clarification. This makes a big difference in how you transition him indoors.

Do you think that if I brought the stray (BOB) in in a crate and put him in the room for a bit (then take him outside again) that would help them adjust?
That goes against my gut feeling based on the cats I've worked with. Coming inside can be intimidating and meeting new cats can be intimidating so you are doing both- putting him in a high stress situation and then letting him back out to where he is comfortable. The risk is that he learns that outside is much more in his comfort zone than in. It's a technique used by people working on socializing cats/ kittens but then they are returned to a quiet room-even a bathroom- in a home and not put back outdoors.

How long ago he was neutered makes a difference as well. If he was recently neutered he'll still have male hormones and pheromones. So that can be another reason to wait for introductions.

But again it all depends. I've brought in un-fixed animals and not had problems with the residents. Each case is different. If he was outside with other cats he might have good cat manners but with your resident cat being sight-impaired I'd play it safe and do a real slow intro.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! Here is my suggestion. Since your other cat is site impaired and you do have a crate, can Bob stay in the crate until Frankie has thoroughly checked him out. Frankie may not object. I bring in new cats a lot. The trick is giving them adjustment time. I use a large enough cage to put in a litter box, food, water, a carrier or box for the kitty to retreat to or climb on and a bit of walking room. I keep the kitty in the room with my others with a sheet draped over it at first. Once everyone has sniffed and understands a cat is inside I start to pull back the sheet to see if everyone is okay. Once they adjust to that I remove the sheet and let them get nose to nose. When that is okay then I start letting the kitty out for a meet and greet. Some cats adjust quickly. For those that take more time, I let them out for short periods at first. I increase the time as the cats adjust. Eventually I leave the cage door open and just let the new cat retreat there if desired. If all is well, they finall stop going in it at all. A few cats still like to go in just as a place to relax. I think if you can follow this it will work. I think if Bob keeps going back outside he may bring in new scents each time. If you can’t do it any other way it still may work okay. When you do introductions be sure you are right there with them to give reassurance and petting to both while talking calmly to them. You may find that they enjoy each other’s company in time. Just let them adjust at their own pace.
I think it’s fantastic that you are saving Bob! He is gorgeous. The Ginger kitties are always a favorite here! Please keep us up to date. There are lots of tips that people can offer you to help. I hope you keep him. Shelter life can be hard and there are no guarantees that he would ever find a home. A life inside a cage is not good.
Thank you for caring so much and taking such good care of your fur babies! :rock:

Furballsmom Furballsmom Thanks for giving me a chance to find Bob and Frankie! Awesome!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! Here is my suggestion. Since your other cat is site impaired and you do have a crate, can Bob stay in the crate until Frankie has thoroughly checked him out. Frankie may not object. I bring in new cats a lot. The trick is giving them adjustment time. I use a large enough cage to put in a litter box, food, water, a carrier or box for the kitty to retreat to or climb on and a bit of walking room. I keep the kitty in the room with my others with a sheet draped over it at first. Once everyone has sniffed and understands a cat is inside I start to pull back the sheet to see if everyone is okay. Once they adjust to that I remove the sheet and let them get nose to nose. When that is okay then I start letting the kitty out for a meet and greet. Some cats adjust quickly. For those that take more time, I let them out for short periods at first. I increase the time as the cats adjust. Eventually I leave the cage door open and just let the new cat retreat there if desired. If all is well, they finall stop going in it at all. A few cats still like to go in just as a place to relax. I think if you can follow this it will work. I think if Bob keeps going back outside he may bring in new scents each time. If you can’t do it any other way it still may work okay. When you do introductions be sure you are right there with them to give reassurance and petting to both while talking calmly to them. You may find that they enjoy each other’s company in time. Just let them adjust at their own pace.
I think it’s fantastic that you are saving Bob! He is gorgeous. The Ginger kitties are always a favorite here! Please keep us up to date. There are lots of tips that people can offer you to help. I hope you keep him. Shelter life can be hard and there are no guarantees that he would ever find a home. A life inside a cage is not good.
Thank you for caring so much and taking such good care of your fur babies! :rock:

Furballsmom Furballsmom Thanks for giving me a chance to find Bob and Frankie! Awesome!
You summed it up, Jcatbird Jcatbird !
If you're sure both cats are healthy, it's crazy sounding but handle one cat, then handle the other cats bedding, toys, food (stick your hands in there, don't be shy). It's like scent swapping before they're 100% ready for scent swapping. Odds are, they smell one another on you (your shirt, your jeans, your hands, etc.), so they're already getting used to this idea.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just brought Miss Eleanor, a 4-ish TNR, inside on Saturday, but before that we would, when weather allowed, open a window and let the inside cats smell her. Later on when I would put food outside, she would come into our entryway and I would crack the inner door so, again the inside cats could smell her. When she finally came in, there was no mystery left, and she seems, so far at least, to be adjusting well, and already is quite the lap cat. A lot depends on the individual cat's temperament, but for us, anyway, so far, so good.