How to break my cat’s new eating routine?

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I feed my cat wet food three times per day. Used to be no issues, I put the food down and he eats it. However, a few months ago during the evening feed I put the food down and then started to play with him with this one toy. So he would stop eating and come play and then finish eating.

At one point he no longer would even start eating until we played first. Then he would eat all his food. Then he started doing this with all 3 feeding sessions. Currently he will not even eat all his food. All 3 feeding sessions he will not begin eating until we play with the toy, then he will eat maybe 1/4 or 1/5 of the food, then wait to play with the toy again, rinse and repeat until he finishes.

He will NOT eat if I don’t do this now and it’s really time consuming. And I already play with him at other times throughout the day. How do I break this so he just eats his food again? Because I’ve tried to just not do the play thing and he simply won’t eat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I can think of would be to choose unusual feeding times, and no play. Additionally and/or alternatively, put the food down at his regular feeding times and walk away, maybe even actually leave the house, at least the first week or so (this could take a little while before the habit is changed).

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no advice, but try this routine. I put Cricket's food down, she looks at it and walks away. And mind you, she has been in what I call her "pose" waiting for her food. So, I follow her, put it down again. She walks somewhere else. Now we have to go upstairs and down to the bonus room, where she will eat a few licks, but I have to sit with her while she explores the room. She'll stand in front of the closet until I open the door, and she'll explore in there awhile. Then she'll settle down on the bed. I put the bowl in front of her again and she'll eat about half of it. After that, I have to put it in a certain place downstairs and eventually she'll go finish it. Talk about time consuming. Sometimes I just have to follow her around down here until I can get her to eat some of it. She picks different spots where she wants to eat.
Then later after I'm in bed, and I get up to go to the bathroom, she will be outside the door when I come out and I have to go stand or sit with her in the "cat's room" while she eats some of her dry food. I tell her it's a good thing I love her because she's a real diva.
Good luck with your issue :bigeyes:

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Play before feeding is a GOOD routine. It’s part of a cat’s natural rhythm of “Hunt, Catch, Kill, Eat”. But you don’t have to have extended play sessions each time. Play hard for a few minutes, then put the toy away. Your cat will soon catch on that when the toy is put away, it’s time to eat.

Remember- most cats will try something new to see what happens and if it gets them what they want, they’ll keep doing it.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's quite likely that due to a natural rhythm of cats that he feels best when you play first.

I would suggest either
A) changing mealtime to after the scheduled play sessions
B) using food enrichment to feed him if possible
C) Using an electronic play-toy first to wear him out that gets him playing but adjusts your time spent.

Also, not engaging in the play if he comes back for more instead of finishing eating is helpful.

Whatever combination of things suggested that works best for you! It might be different at different mealtimes, based on your human schedule.