How to apply topical flea treatment when she fights it?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been using Bravecto for years on my cats. None has had a reaction to it after application, but getting it onto Daisy is another matter. Phoebe’s fine, it doesn’t bother her, and her fur is fine enough that getting it on her skin isn’t too difficult. But Daisy … ! She fights hard, kicks and squirms and takes off. Plus the fur on the back of her head is very thick, even snipping a little off doesn’t help me get the stuff on her skin. I looked up flea tablets, but the reviews I’ve read of Comfortis make me want to avoid it at all costs, and things like Canstar aren’t meant to be used alone. They don’t have fleas, I just need a preventative, especially if I can get Daisy to come for walks on her harness. Anyone have any suggestions? We’re in Australia, so there are nowhere near as many brands available as in the US.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally think you are looking at a two-person job; one to hold her head/neck, maybe even do a 'burrito' on her. Aside from that, Feeby has very thick-to-part hair, and the only hope I have is to take and slightly dampen the area with a paper towel and then use a flea comb part the hair before application. She does twist and turn on me, but I can get it on her that way. It is never 'perfect' by no means.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally think you are looking at a two-person job; one to hold her head/neck, maybe even do a 'burrito' on her. Aside from that, Feeby has very thick-to-part hair, and the only hope I have is to take and slightly dampen the area with a paper towel and then use a flea comb part the hair before application. She does twist and turn on me, but I can get it on her that way. It is never 'perfect' by no means.
If I had another person to help I’d certainly do it that way, but my mother is incapable of helping, unfortunately. It’d be down to a vet visit and coughing up that much money every three months isn’t happening. :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't apply any treatments unless I see fleas. Using it as a preventative seems excessive. I do apply it in ferals that come up to eat by just being very quick, applying downward pressure and squeezing all at once. just apply it high enough so they can't twist and lick it. Even if it doesn't get all the way down the skin, the fur will move it there like a wick, it is rather oily.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any chance you have a cat-loving neighbor - or another relative - that might be willing to lend you a second set of hands?
My only relative lives interstate, and all my neighbours are old and frail - comes of living in a retirement village! I might have to try wrapping her next time, though I’ve never had much success with that.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't apply any treatments unless I see fleas. Using it as a preventative seems excessive. I do apply it in ferals that come up to eat by just being very quick, applying downward pressure and squeezing all at once. just apply it high enough so they can't twist and lick it. Even if it doesn't get all the way down the skin, the fur will move it there like a wick, it is rather oily.
Interesting - I have a vet visit tomorrow, I might ask them what they think. I don’t know if there are many fleas around. Two of the village cats are allowed to roam and I have seen rats around (thank you local council not collecting rubbish when you should).

Edit - after a quick read no, it’s worth doing, too easy for the little wretches to come in on clothing etc, and easier to manage this way than having to eliminate an infestation.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My initial thoughts are a lickable treat, closed door and apply during eating?

Perhaps a baby onzie with the bottom cut off for a few hours? To let it absorb.

Perhaps this video could help:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My initial thoughts are a lickable treat, closed door and apply during eating?

Perhaps a baby onzie with the bottom cut off for a few hours? To let it absorb.

Perhaps this video could help:
Thanks, that’s an interesting video - I’ll have to look around for what safe environmental flea control we have available in our ridiculously small market.