How soon to get a new kitten

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys

My little kitten just died and although I feel horrible and guilty and I want to get a new one and give him or her a happy life and living home.

But how soon is too soon? Leaving aside feelings and etc. Since my kitty died from somehing which I dont know what it is (she suddenly started with diarreah, blood in stool, not eating no drinking and the vet couldnt do anything) I am afraid the virus/ bacteria whatever is still there.

So how long should I wait and what precautions should I take.

Of course eating bowls and litterbox are gone.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not knowing what it was, as long as you've sanitized your house and bedding, you should be good to adopt when you find the right kitty.  Be sure to adopt from an established and well-respected shelter or rescue group.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Stephanie. How do I make sure I sanitize the house?

Is there a pet friendly cleaner you recommend? Quarantine period? Thanks

meow604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any cleaner that says non-toxic is a good start. I know lots of chemical stuff like pine-sol or bleach is bad for cats, because if the cat steps on a part of the floor you just cleaned for example, it gets on their paws. The cat licks the paws to clean itself, and then it gets in them.

With anything cleaning the floors, I like to make sure to rinse well with water afterwards.

Any linens or bedding, etc that your previous kitten slept in, make sure to throw it in the wash.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I would also like to recommend getting a kitten that has had two rounds of vaccines, especially since you are unsure what your kitten had (thinking along the lines of PanLeuk.) So, a kitten that is at least 12 weeks of age. (Honestly, this is quite possibly the perfect age to get a kitten anyway!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys I will def wash everything. Im on my way home I feel stressed.

The vet told us she had 2, 3-4month old kittens. So we might adopt both.

Im scared of going through this again and to be honest I feel guilty about "replacing" her. But know its all in my mind and I must get over my mourning and give other kitties the life I wanted for Menta.

Ill keep you posted.

Thanks!!!!