How soon should I go to the vet?

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today about an hour ago I discovered a lump on my cats lower chest. It wasn't there a week ago. It's about 2cm long I think, just based on what I could feel. It's not round, but long. It feels hard, almost like a bone but I can move it around, so sort of like a hard muscle. I have 4 other cats so I immediately checked all of them to compare just in case it's just a normal bone or something I never noticed before, but none of my other cats have it. Only this cat does. She is acting fine, eating fine, using the bathroom fine. She is still really young, in fact it's her birthday tomorrow and she is turning 2 years old. I can go to the vet tomorrow as a walk in, but that will kind of suck partly because it's her birthday but mostly because I won't be able to choose which vet I want, and I have a strong preference on who sees my cats. There is a particular vet I don't want to get but she is almost always the one I get for walk ins. But if I call to make an appointment, I'm not sure how soon they will be able to get me in. So I'm just wondering, should I treat this as an urgent situation and go asap as a walk in tomorrow, or should I wait for an appointment with my prefered vet? My cat's acting fine, but I'm just worried that if it's cancer, it might not be worth waiting for a later appointment. What do you guys think?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not sure what you mean by lower chest - not near mammary glands? Was she spayed at a later age?

At her age, if it were my cat, I would make an appt. with your preferred vet. In the meantime, you can continue to monitor it and log the size and any other changes you may see to share with the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Not sure what you mean by lower chest - not near mammary glands? Was she spayed at a later age?

At her age, if it were my cat, I would make an appt. with your preferred vet. In the meantime, you can continue to monitor it and log the size and any other changes you may see to share with the vet.
The lump is more by her ribs actually, I wasn’t really sure how to describe the area.

She was spayed at 1 year of age.

Okay, I think I’ll do that. I’ll probably call the vet tomorrow and make an appointment.

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Not sure what you mean by lower chest - not near mammary glands?
I think maybe the spot the lump is is considered the mammary gland area?

clary7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most, but not all, mammary cancers will be close to a nipple.
Okay. I will have to get a closer look tomorrow at the exact area. I’m really hoping it’s nothing and that I’m just overreacting. I’ll get an appointment scheduled and hopefully it turns out to be nothing serious!