How Sick Is My Cat?

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been drooling for past 7 days. Her fur looked unkempt for several days prior to that. Her tongue was red and so were her lips and a bit of her nose. There aren't many good vets over here in Nicaragua so I tried to take her to the best one that I could find. On Friday I took her to the vet and they put her on an IV. She got out on Monday. She doesn't want any solid food. But does eat canned food. Her redness has decreased. The vets said her drool had decreased but when I took her home it seemed like it came back to how it was. I also saw her do a bit of twitching this morning but I am not sure if it it's due to the drool or not. At first I thought it was calicivirus but the vets said it due to her high cholesterol which her number is 104 and her triglycerides being 538. They prescribed Clindamin, 4 cc of Omega 3 twice a day for a month. Hyaluronic acid for her mouth. And a low fat diet consisting of tuna, red meat, and fish for a month. Does diagnostic seem about right or should I get a different opinion?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From your description of symptoms, I would have thought stomatitis (mouth inflammation and ulcers). And looking at the treatment your vet gave you. It seems he is treating the mouth, not cholesterol. The Clindamin, I think is an antibiotic (when I googled it, everything was in Spanish?). That would help with any mouth infections, the Omegas are good for the heart and skin and so much more, and I have read that hyaluronic acid can be used for the treatment of mouth ulcers as well.
So while I have NO IDEA, if the high cholesterol would cause feline stomatitis, (that's a new one for me), and frankly, I'm confused with the high cholesterol diagnosis as the culprit. I think the treatment might still be on the right track because it does seem that the vet is treating your kitties mouth, so that's a good sign.
As for the diet change, for the most part, wet food that is high protein, has moderate fat and low carbs is a good go to for getting a cats diet back on track. But I honestly don't know much about lowering a cats cholesterol.
Sorry I'm not more help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would seem that your cat may have multiple issues going on. How old is she?

The drooling can be an indication of mouth/gum problems, but can also be a sign of URI, so antibiotics can treat either. Did the vet mention either of these conditions?

The cholesterol count you noted does not seem that high to me, but the triglycerides are elevated. The diet your vet wants your cat to have is to help address this - high protein and low fat. The IV they put her on was likely for fasting purposes in order to check for accurate counts. I have never heard of any connection between drooling and high triglycerides.

Did your vet say your cat's liver and kidney functions are good? The drooling can be related to one or the other, but not if the results came out in the normal ranges.

You really need to get more details from the vet so you better understand what they are trying to treat and what you should be looking for. I would also tell them about the twitching, just to see what they say.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd get a second opinion if possible.

And a low fat diet consisting of tuna, red meat, and fish for a month.
That is not a nutritionally balanced diet for cats :headshake: It lacks the essential vitamins and minerals a cat needs. Seafood should be limited to occasional meals or treats as it can cause issues in cats. Can I Feed My Cat A Fish-based Or Fish-flavored Diet?

Stick with the canned cat food. That is a complete balanced diet. What brands are available in your country?

Does your cat go outside? Is is possible that your cat got into something harmful, maybe household cleaners or lawn fertilizers or something that shouldn't be ingested? Did the vet do a full blood work up including tox screen?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From your description of symptoms, I would have thought stomatitis (mouth inflammation and ulcers). And looking at the treatment your vet gave you. It seems he is treating the mouth, not cholesterol. The Clindamin, I think is an antibiotic (when I googled it, everything was in Spanish?). That would help with any mouth infections, the Omegas are good for the heart and skin and so much more, and I have read that hyaluronic acid can be used for the treatment of mouth ulcers as well.
So while I have NO IDEA, if the high cholesterol would cause feline stomatitis, (that's a new one for me), and frankly, I'm confused with the high cholesterol diagnosis as the culprit. I think the treatment might still be on the right track because it does seem that the vet is treating your kitties mouth, so that's a good sign.
As for the diet change, for the most part, wet food that is high protein, has moderate fat and low carbs is a good go to for getting a cats diet back on track. But I honestly don't know much about lowering a cats cholesterol.
Sorry I'm not more help.
Thanks for the reply. Yes it was in spanish. The english name is clindamycin.

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It would seem that your cat may have multiple issues going on. How old is she?

The drooling can be an indication of mouth/gum problems, but can also be a sign of URI, so antibiotics can treat either. Did the vet mention either of these conditions?

The cholesterol count you noted does not seem that high to me, but the triglycerides are elevated. The diet your vet wants your cat to have is to help address this - high protein and low fat. The IV they put her on was likely for fasting purposes in order to check for accurate counts. I have never heard of any connection between drooling and high triglycerides.

Did your vet say your cat's liver and kidney functions are good? The drooling can be related to one or the other, but not if the results came out in the normal ranges.

You really need to get more details from the vet so you better understand what they are trying to treat and what you should be looking for. I would also tell them about the twitching, just to see what they say.
She just turned 6 years. They did mention the liver but didn't exactly give me alot of details. My wife thinks fatty liver? They did a biometric test and the only ones that I see a bit off are
Segments which are 78 (normal range is 25-60)
White blood cells 12,100 (normal range 4000-10000)
Red blood cells 4.6 (normal range 6-10)

They also did a blood chemistry test.
The ones that I see off are
Urea Nitrogen 50.3 (normal range is 18-33)
Creatine 1.0 (normal range is 1.1-2.2)

But they only mentioned the cholesterol and triglycerides.

halfamill

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd get a second opinion if possible.

That is not a nutritionally balanced diet for cats :headshake: It lacks the essential vitamins and minerals a cat needs. Seafood should be limited to occasional meals or treats as it can cause issues in cats. Can I Feed My Cat A Fish-based Or Fish-flavored Diet?

Stick with the canned cat food. That is a complete balanced diet. What brands are available in your country?

Does your cat go outside? Is is possible that your cat got into something harmful, maybe household cleaners or lawn fertilizers or something that shouldn't be ingested? Did the vet do a full blood work up including tox screen?
They told me to feed it for a month and then come back for testing. My cat doesn't go outside. I have 2 other cats who have been going outside since I haven't been able to fix backyard fence and my wife said she saw a bit of redness on one of them. I tried to put one and one together and thought that maybe it was calicivirus. She hasn't been vaccinated for it since May of 2016. But the other one wasn't that sick.

Felix is the most popular canned food that I see here. It's available in salmon, tuna, turkey, and chicken.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know much about fatty liver, except to say that is usually related to a cat who is not eating enough calories to sustain themselves. I am sure there are other reasons as well, I just don't what they are.

I don't know what 'Segments' mean, and the WBC and RBC counts are not ridiculously out of whack.

Now that you have this information, I would strongly suggest that you have at least a phone consult with the vet and ask them about what it all means, and if they all correlate to the cholesterol/triglycerides. I actually don't think they do, but the vet can certainly shed more light on that than someone who holds no medical degree, like me. It is possible that the vet is not concerned about the other 'abnormal' readings, but they can explain why that would be the case.

Your best ammunition in helping your cat is you being educated about what all of the tests mean. The more you know, the better equipped you are to ask questions and prompt/provoke thoughts/ideas in your vet.

Don't be shy, you have a right to know all that you can, and that is part of the vet's job to inform you.