How should I feed my emaciated stray cat

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, she looks WONDERFUL -- good on ya!  *PRAYERS* and best, best luck tomorrow with the spay surgery and innoculations -- FVRCP is the "basic" all-in-one that most cat lovers probably agree is necessary.  Her doctor may, or may not, have other suggestions as to which vax are must-haves.  Because so many people feel so differently about which ones to give and when, I won't weigh in on any others, except to say that if you have a good vet who truly cares about cats, (s)he should be able to advise you on this. 

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bowie looks great!   If at all possible, see if your vet offers the Purevax rabies vaccine (it's the non-adjuvanted vaccine).   The risk of vaccine related sarcoma (cancer) is much much lower with the non-adjuvanted rabies vaccine.    Other than that, you'll need to get her the FVRCP vaccine (this is the 3-in-1 distemper, calici, and rhino vaccine).   That one is a must.   The vet might try and push the FeLV vaccine on you, but you really  do not need to get that unless she will be spending time outdoors or sharing a home with a FeLV positive kitty.

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bowie is beautiful and looks healthy and happy! What an amazing transformation! She is so lucky to have found her way to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Bowie looks great!   If at all possible, see if your vet offers the Purevax rabies vaccine (it's the non-adjuvanted vaccine).   The risk of vaccine related sarcoma (cancer) is much much lower with the non-adjuvanted rabies vaccine.    Other than that, you'll need to get her the FVRCP vaccine (this is the 3-in-1 distemper, calici, and rhino vaccine).   That one is a must.   The vet might try and push the FeLV vaccine on you, but you really  do not need to get that unless she will be spending time outdoors or sharing a home with a FeLV positive kitty.
Thank you so much for your advice..She is gonna be pretty much an indoor cat so I will get the FVRCP and rabies..

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just went to Walmart to get a kennel to transport her tomorrow to the vet and only the small one I was able to find was 19"x12.6x6 kennel..It said it will fit a pet up to 10 pounds and I thought this will be great cuz Bowie is a little under 10 pounds I just home put together and put her in and she fits just fine but it doesn't seem to have a lot of moving room and I'm pretty bummed because I can't go back to store to find a bigger size..It's fine if just lays down which she will be doing after the surgery..I hope this is ok for now..I will just use it for tomorrow and probably just sell it and get another carrier on a bigger size.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went to Walmart to get a kennel to transport her tomorrow to the vet and only the small one I was able to find was 19"x12.6x6 kennel..It said it will fit a pet up to 10 pounds and I thought this will be great cuz Bowie is a little under 10 pounds I just home put together and put her in and she fits just fine but it doesn't seem to have a lot of moving room and I'm pretty bummed because I can't go back to store to find a bigger size..It's fine if just lays down which she will be doing after the surgery..I hope this is ok for now..I will just use it for tomorrow and probably just sell it and get another carrier on a bigger size.

That will work fine especially for now. I find that my kitty will lay down in her carrier despite having room to sit or stand. You may find she does well with this one or may decide she definitely needs a bigger one. It think some cats make like and feel safer in a smaller space.

A couple of suggestions for transporting her to and from:
1. Put a t-shirt you or your husband has recently worn but not washed in the bottom of the carrier: Bowie will feel comforted by having your familiar scent with her.
2. Cover the carrier with a towel: this will help reduce sensory stimulation and help her feel safer and calmer.

Good luck and let us know how she is doing when you have a chance!

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That will work fine especially for now. I find that my kitty will lay down in her carrier despite having room to sit or stand. You may find she does well with this one or may decide she definitely needs a bigger one. It think some cats make like and feel safer in a smaller space.

A couple of suggestions for transporting her to and from:
1. Put a t-shirt you or your husband has recently worn but not washed in the bottom of the carrier: Bowie will feel comforted by having your familiar scent with her.
2. Cover the carrier with a towel: this will help reduce sensory stimulation and help her feel safer and calmer.

Good luck and let us know how she is doing when you have a chance!
Thank you so much for the tips! :)  I first checked out Petsmart  for their carriers and to be honest I thought they were a bit pricey for a small carrier that is why I don't like to shop there much cuz I think they are overpriced...The prices for carriers at Walmart were way more reasonable, but they just don't have a huge selection.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy to help and I hope they make Miss Bowie's trip a little easier. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
It's been a few years since I bought my carrier but I remember that I bought it via Amazon. The selection of sizes was great and I thought the price was excellent. Another thought would be to see what the prices are at Chewy.com

Bowie looks so amazing in such a short period of time. She is clearly loved [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Happy to help and I hope they make Miss Bowie's trip a little easier. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
It's been a few years since I bought my carrier but I remember that I bought it via Amazon. The selection of sizes was great and I thought the price was excellent. Another thought would be to see what the prices are at Chewy.com

Bowie looks so amazing in such a short period of time. She is clearly loved [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
I just checked out chewy.com and they have a much better selection and the prices are very reasonable..I will most likely order a carrier in a bigger size from there and I'm gonna need a bigger litter box...Bowie seems to be kicking alot of litter outside of the box and gets litter everywhere I want to get a litter box that has roof over it I think that will suit her better and so I don't have to vaccum as much lol.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much for the tips! :)  I first checked out Petsmart  for their carriers and to be honest I thought they were a bit pricey for a small carrier that is why I don't like to shop there much cuz I think they are overpriced...The prices for carriers at Walmart were way more reasonable, but they just don't have a huge selection.
Those are great tips from @HelloMissKitty! I definitely wouldn't worry about the size of the carrier unless Bowie seems uncomfortable: our cats are also smaller (around eight pounds each) and like their small carriers so much that one cat sometimes sleeps in a carrier. There was even one time when we brought them to the vet and they insisted on both riding home in the same, slightly smaller, carrier! Our cats seem to feel more comfortable in close spaces.

As I type, I also remember that a cat I had years ago preferred her tiny airline carrier (USAIR) to her large airline carrier (Delta). I don't really blame her: she kind of rattled around in the large one!

Bowie looks great. Fingers crossed for everything to go smoothly today!

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just dropped Bowie off to her spay appointment..She was not to thrilled to go into the pet carrier this morning..It's like she sensed something was up lol. I hope all goes well with the surgery.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A larger litter box may or may not make any difference.  Hekitty is a kicking kitty, and the minute I go in and sweep up the scattered litter, SHE goes in and kicks some more out, even if she doesn't use the box!

Your girl will be much happier once she isn't a slave to her hormones, although you may have to cut back a bit on serving amounts.

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I went to go pick up Bowie today she was really out of it and shaking alot and it made me really nervous..So they offered to keep her there for a couple more hours to keep an eye on her which I thought was really nice of the..I came back a few hours later and she looked much better than before still a bit out of it but she was awake and not shaking anymore..Right now she is resting it off..She is having the after effects of the anesthesia and wobbling around...I put her in a bigger soft sided pet carrier that I use for my dogs cuz it has more space for her to stretch and walk around..She's not really interested in eating and drinking right now I will offer it again later when she feels better..I also made a run to Petsmart to get her an E-collar so she doesn't try to chew or lick that area.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am relieved that Bowie is ok, any kind of surgery is a little scary with respect to cats. She is such a lucky girl to have found you. Bless you for all that you have done and are doing for her. 

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to hear Bowie is home and surgery is over. I'm so glad she has such a wonderful home to come home to after such a big day [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

boobear27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like I'm gonna need to take Bowie back to the vet...Last night I left her in the cone so she won't lick her stitches and when I went to check on her this morning she was flipping out in the room and jumping around and I also saw blood..I immediately went to get a hold of her and first thing I did was check the stitches to make sure they didn't open..The blood wasn't coming from the stitches it was coming from one of her front paws and one of her back paws..It looks like she was desperately trying to get the cone off and pushed back a couple of nails...I rinsed off the blood and then stopped the bleeding I then cleaned it with peroxide and let it dry and applied neosporin..I tried wrapping it with some gauze and vet wrap and some tape and also used a toddler sock to cover but it just kept slipping off or she will kick it off..I took a flashlight to get a better look at it to see if she broke any nails..My dogs had torn nails before and they healed up just fine but it doesn't look like she broke any nails I think a couple of the nails got pushed back I think her toe might be swollen..It looks like she also tore open the skin underneath the nail..I'm gonna make a vet appt to make sure she seriously injured anything and to avoid infection.:(:(:(