How Should A Vet Diagnose Itching In Two Indoor Only Cats?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm concerned that my aunt got screwed over by a new vet three years out of veterinary school (she's 29 and got her license in 2015). I'd like opinions on the situation.

My aunt has three indoor only cats that do not get flea protection, but there is an indoor/outdoor dog that lives there too (the DIL's dog) that does get Frontline Plus or similar. Two of the cats were itching and the one had a bunch of tiny little bumps on her back at the base of her tail. Both cats had scabs here and there. I suspected fleas, but did not get a chance to comb them before they were taken to the vet's. The DIL took them to the vet and the vet gave the cats each an injection of Convenia and the cat with the bumps got a steroid shot. The vet said the other cat had dirt on her back from being so overweight that she can't groom herself. I have no idea whether the vet used a flea comb on these cats or not.

I got a copy of the exam notes and I cannot find any justifiable reason to give the cats a Convenia injection. There's mention of itching, crusting and a greasy coat, but that's no reason to give an antibiotic. Unnecessary use of antibiotics just leads to MRSA. I've had a cat with flea bite allergies (bumps and scabs) and he didn't need antibiotics and he was diagnosed with fleas by the vet. The notes for these two cats state that no fleas were seen, but the cats did have fleas because I found them three days later.

So basically, the vet was presented with two indoor only cats that have itching and live with an indoor/outdoor dog. If I had been her, the first thing I would've done is used a flea comb on the overweight cat to look for fleas or flea dirt. If I had found it (she would've because the cats had fleas), I would've recommended Advantage or Frontline and said to call if that doesn't relieve the itching and eliminate the bumps within a week. But no, she has to administer approximately $120 worth of useless and unnecessary drugs to these cats. Again, there was no justifiable reason to give the Convenia injections. Do you take antibiotics everytime you have an allergic reaction such as from a mosquito bite? The steroid shot should've only been used if the itching and bumps persisted after a week of using flea medication.

Am I wrong on this or is this vet completely stupid? It really upsets me because the one cat needs at least $300 worth of tests for an enlarged kidney and now my aunt can't afford to pay for it because of the $120 she spent for unnecessary treatment. I'm wondering if I should say something to the clinic owner. It seems like they should give my aunt a refund. They should at the very least refund the cost of the Convenia injections since the exam notes prove there was no reason for antibiotics.

Please give your opinions on this.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can see why you are annoyed, I would have thought fleas too. My boy is sensitive to fleas and I've taken him in for problems related to it. My vet didn't find fleas but told me to do a flea treatment and follow up in a week to see if it improved before trying anything else.

While your aunt can complain to the vet clinic, I dont think a refund is in order. The vet gave her a treatment option and your aunt took it. Even if in hindsight it doesnt seem like it was the best option it still was done. I've been there with my boy and a vet clinic I swear I will never go back to. It sucks, but we dont get to ask for refunds on our bad decisions in life, we have to live with them (at least that is my opinion).

And there may have been something the vet saw that justifies the opinion. It is possible that your aunt's cat is that obese and can't groom itself. If she saw swelling and signs of infection then the antibiotics may be warranted as a precautionary measure even if it is flea driven. I agree that antibiotics are over perscribed but there are cases where they are warranted. Without seeing the cat ourselves or having been in the exam room it is difficult to say what lead to the choices made. Exam notes aren't perfect and may miss something that is important to understanding.

I am not defending the vet and I probably wouldnt see that vet again from what you've said. But it is difficult for people who weren't there to question decisions in the moment. If your Aunt feels it's necessary, she can talk to the clinic owner and ask for a secons opinion on the notes. I wouldn't push for refunds because that makes it seem like it's all about the money. Maybe mention the kidney testing and now not being able to afford other treatment. But I do think this should be something your aunt handles on her own and with an open mind. We arent vets and even when vets do questionable things it is important to remember they are making decisions based on their knowledge and experience.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Call the vet's office and talk to the vet to see if she can explain the logic behind the antibiotics - and the steroid shot as well.

If you have examined the cats, does it look like any of the scabs are infected? While that may not always justify antibiotics, it sure would go a long way in explaining why at least.

• Purraise
Reactions: RMO

RMO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that flea treatment was definitely in order. Brushing/combing - for sure. As for the antibiotic and steroid, I do think those were prudent. I had a dear cat who had flea allergy. The moment fleas would occur he'd get bumps and be itching himself like crazy. He did need the occasional antibiotic and steroid (very occasional - as in, no more than once per year). The combinations would relieve his fierce itchiness.

As for a vet that is new to practice...on the one hand, new vets can be "up" on the most recent treatments. On the other hand, a new vet's inexperience can be waaay off the mark.

As for the money your aunt spent...breaks my heart. How vets justify charging what they do...I'm sorry, but I think it's criminal. There needs to be regulations put on vet costs. As things are, it's cruel to pet owners AND to animals who need care.