How old was your cat when they first got their teeth professionally cleaned?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

One of my cats is turning 4 in December and the vet checked out her teeth a few months ago and said that there was some buildup on the right side of her teeth but nothing to be too concerned about as of yet.

My question is: how old was your cat when they first had their teeth cleaned professionally? And how often does it need to be done?

Thank you in advance!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three cats, aged 7, 6 and 3. The vet always said their teeth were doing fine. They've never had a professional cleaning.

To me their teeth look good. Pink gums, no sores. Teeth are always white with no apparent tartar. Their breath doesn't smell bad (usually, unless they've just cleaned "those" parts).

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine were around 7 years old. Their breath was bad, but DentaLife chews help a little with that. There's no way I can brush their teeth every day.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

One of my cats is turning 4 in December and the vet checked out her teeth a few months ago and said that there was some buildup on the right side of her teeth but nothing to be too concerned about as of yet.

My question is: how old was your cat when they first had their teeth cleaned professionally? And how often does it need to be done?

Thank you in advance!
I think that depends on the kitty. When my sister adopted a pair of bonded 3 year old cats, we noticed immediately one of them had really foul smelling breath. Like whenever she “meowed,” it left a lingering stench that we let us know something was not right. So we had it checked out, and sure enough she needed to have several of her teeth pulled because they were rotting. The poor thing. The vet said it’s unusual for a cat that young, but genetics plays a role in it. Fast forward to a few years later, at age 7 she had all her teeth pulled.

But yeah, good for you for keeping aware of your kitties’ dental health! Cats really hide their pain well. Minou, despite all those teeth problems was still so sweet.

oh and dry food does nothing for teeth. It’s a gimmick that companies made up.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 year old and a 10 month old. They haven't had their teeth cleaned yet by the vet. I brush their teeth every day and at night give them dentabites. But I'd be shocked if in January at their check up if the vet says they don't need a clean the 4 year old really doesn't like having his teeth brushed it's always been a fight.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If you take your cat(s) in for annual check-ups the vet can examine the condition of their teeth to determine if a dental cleaning is necessary. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! 😉 We adopted our last cat and present cat as adults and unfortunately they did not have the best care or genes. Both had FORL starting at approximately 6 - 7 years old. If you scroll down to The Condition of Aging Cat's Teeth in this TCS Article it discusses the importance of dental health as your cat ages:
What To Expect As Your Cat Ages – TheCatSite Articles