How old is this cat?

Kiara98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my cat the first time I saw him (he was a stray) , then I adopted him ❣
I was wondering how old is he in these pics , so I thought maybe you experts can take a guess...
Also if you already saw this, I previously posted this in the wrong section 😥
-wiv94v.jpg
IMG_20221121_113619.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kiara98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Take him to the vet and ask. They can look at teeth and eyes and general health and give a better inkling. Plus if you haven't been yet he will need a check up anyway. Pretty kitty tho
I already took him to the vet and did vaccines but I forgot to ask... thank you!

Kiara98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would venture to say between a year and two. Males start to develop the chubby 'cheeks' that indicate an unneutered male at a little over a year. he's young because he's not battle-scarred and in good shape, beautiful cat!
Sorry I'm guessing you are referring to the picture I took today that I posted in the comment section??? cause he's a little chubbier there... That would mean he's somewhere between 1-1.5 right now? Or maybe I'm wrong and you were referring to the first pictures?😅
Anyway yes you are right he's not been unneutered yet , we are gonna do that next in 2 months after we end all the vaccine cycles!
Thank you so much for answering ❣

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check your receipt from your vet. Usually, the vet will put what they think is the cat's age under or near the cat's name and description on the receipt at either to the top or the bottom of the first page.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with di and bob. On the second pic he seems a young adult male, so he must be even younger on the first pic. :)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is him now (a few months apart) ❤❤❤😁View attachment 452232
Very handsome guy…prolly around one year now. I love his paws and round face. 😻

I would not always go by Dvm estimation of age. When I brought Zena for neuter to my Dvm someone there told me they thought he was no more than one year and very young… I knew that wasn’t true because he had already been outside for nearly two years with me feeding him lol. He is still like a kitten in many ways though, and very youthful even now 1.5 years later.

Also , if a cat has been outside long enough, they can appear to be older than their true age too due the harshness of living outside.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I would not always go by Dvm estimation of age. When I brought Zena for neuter to my Dvm someone there told me they thought he was no more than one year and very young… I knew that wasn’t true because he had already been outside for nearly two years with me feeding him lol. He is still like a kitten in many ways though, and very youthful even now 1.5 years later.

Also , if a cat has been outside long enough, they can appear to be older than their true age too due the harshness of living outside.

I think in a lot of instances they can be pretty close.. but there are def times when I think it's just hard for them. we found moto behind a petsmart. big frame cat at 5 pounds. he'd eaten some rats with rat poison kidney dmg eye dmg mouth torn from eating cans i expect or trying to eat rats that weren't dead yet who knows. but he was in very very rough shape. vets estimated about 10 years old at the time and told us he probably wasn't going to live long at all. a year later his kidney issues were holding steady. and he'd gained 10 pounds now they thought 2-5 years at that point. that was 11 years ago. he died last christmas. so.. somewhere between 13 years old and 21. just judging from how he looked at the end I'd say somewhere between 16 and 19. we will never know.. but the vets didn't either. totally different answers from every vet we saw.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think in a lot of instances they can be pretty close.. but there are def times when I think it's just hard for them. we found moto behind a petsmart. big frame cat at 5 pounds. he'd eaten some rats with rat poison kidney dmg eye dmg mouth torn from eating cans i expect or trying to eat rats that weren't dead yet who knows. but he was in very very rough shape. vets estimated about 10 years old at the time and told us he probably wasn't going to live long at all. a year later his kidney issues were holding steady. and he'd gained 10 pounds now they thought 2-5 years at that point. that was 11 years ago. he died last christmas. so.. somewhere between 13 years old and 21. just judging from how he looked at the end I'd say somewhere between 16 and 19. we will never know.. but the vets didn't either. totally different answers from every vet we saw.
My Wizard was estimated to be about 3 when I took him in... I would say he was about 20-21 when he passed. I miss him every second. Sorry for your loss of your Moto 🤗 Wizard was not in terrible shape but was fiv pos, but he was mostly healthy except for his tummy troubles which turned to cancer and crf at the end.

LunarFlower

Genetics Enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise

I definitely agree. Vets do give their best guess, but in adult animals it can be very difficult to determine age. I worked at a veterinary hospital for six years, and I’m still crummy at determining ages. Vets usually go off of several factors, including the general health and state of the pet, the health of the teeth, and sometimes test results if they have had bloodwork drawn. All of those factors can vary based off of the conditions and lifestyle of the pet, so it is usually just an (educated) guess. Sometimes a rough start in life can make an animal appear or act much older than they are, or vice versa.

Kiara98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Y'all thank you so much for answering!!!
Just wanted to say we went to the vet for the second dose of vaccine and he said around 6-7 months? But that's impossible because the 2 pics I posted are from 6 months ago 😭
Also I read full male cats start to mature and go crazy this age , but mine doesn't spray , and doesn't wants to run away ( I'll get him neutered in September)... Is this normal? 😶

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems odd but I guess you just need to get him neutered etc. and see what happens. Not all cats are the same in personality regardless of hormones.