How old is my kitten?

Minty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I got a female kitten on the 12th of December and the breeder said she was 9 weeks old. When I got her she looked so small. I have another cat and I don’t remember him being so small when I got him! Two days later we went to the vet for the check up and vaccinations and I found out she was only 750gr and they couldn’t vaccinate her! So I’m not sure anymore that she was 9 weeks old when I got her! I will attach some pictures of when I first got her and how she is now so I hope this can help you to figure out how old she is!
PS:in first 4 pictures it’s her when I got her and last 3 pictures it’s her now!
Thank you very much to everyone will take time to answer!🐱🐾

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible she was 9 weeks old, just small. In the first pics, her ears are large and her eyes aren't baby blue, so she was 7 weeks old at least.

Did the breeder give you any paperwork?

How much does she weigh now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's possible she was 9 weeks old, just small. In the first pics, her ears are large and her eyes aren't baby blue, so she was 7 weeks old at least.

Did the breeder give you any paperwork?

How much does she weigh now?
Hi Willowy,
the breeder didn’t give me any paperworks unfortunately. We just weighted her today at home and the scale said 1.110 Kg.
Hope this help you!!!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
From her picture nine weeks looks about right and she does look a little on the thin side. You want to get her into your vet for a checkup anyway and you want to bring a poop sample with just so the baby can be checked for worms or anything else that might be hindering her weight gain.

Minty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From her picture nine weeks looks about right and she does look a little on the thin side. You want to get her into your vet for a checkup anyway and you want to bring a poop sample with just so the baby can be checked for worms or anything else that might be hindering her weight gain.
Hi Susan,
thank you for your reply!
She has been wormed 3 weeks ago when we first brought her to the vet. Today we brought her back for her vaccinations and her weight is 1.2 Kg. (so probably my scale is not very accurate). The checked her and they said she is fine!
Do you think her weight is ok now?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, her weight is pretty close to average for her age. It could be that if she did have worms at one point it slowed down her weight some. I would just make sure that she gets lots of high quality wet kitten food and has dry available around the clock. It Is also good to have a recheck for worms at Her next visit just to make sure they are all gone.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "target weight" for 12 weeks is around 1.5 kg but some kitties are smaller or larger than average and she's well within the healthy range. I think she's doing fine! I agree that having worms early on could have slowed her down a little.

Minty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, her weight is pretty close to average for her age. It could be that if she did have worms at one point it slowed down her weight some. I would just make sure that she gets lots of high quality wet kitten food and has dry available around the clock. It Is also good to have a recheck for worms at Her next visit just to make sure they are all gone.
Hi Susan, thank you very much for your reply.
We have another appointment in 3 weeks time for the second round of vaccinations and today the vet gave us another dewormer to giver tomorrow and it will last for 3 months. So I think she should be covered for months. We are giving her plenty of high quality wet food and we leave dry food down for her.
By the way she gained 450gr in 3 weeks so I think it’s good.
Do you think this is fine?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, I think that is great for three weeks and as long as she is gaining well like this I wouldn’t worry about her weight. And as W Willowy said she just might be a petite female. One of mine as an adult barely passed the five pound mark, or about the size of a five month kitten, but she lived a very long and healthy life.

Minty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The "target weight" for 12 weeks is around 1.5 kg but some kitties are smaller or larger than average and she's well within the healthy range. I think she's doing fine! I agree that having worms early on could have slowed her down a little.
As far I know the breeder gave her the dewormer the week before we got her. The only thing is that the day we got her when we arrived home we discovered she had some fleas. So we phoned straight away the vet for an appointment and we gave her a bath to get rid off of the fleas. Two days later we brought her to the vet to be checked.
When they checked her, they couldn’t find any flea but the vet gave us a dewormer for prevention. Do you think the fleas could slower down a bit her growth?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah, I'm guessing she's just a smaller female. I have one that only weighs 6 pounds as a full-grown adult. She does look slightly skinny in the first pics but she could have been at an awkward growth stage. If the vet says she's healthy I think you can trust that.

Minty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nah, I'm guessing she's just a smaller female. I have one that only weighs 6 pounds as a full-grown adult. She does look slightly skinny in the first pics but she could have been at an awkward growth stage. If the vet says she's healthy I think you can trust that.
Hi Willowy,
thank you very much for your reply. I’ll attach a picture of her that I have done few days ago! Hope it can help you to figure it out!

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww such a cutie! I don't see anything in the picture that seems concerning. The vet has put hands on her, that's why I said the vet knows better.

Minty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[
Hi Susan, her weight is actually 1.12 Kg! I read incorrectly on the vet paperworks! Is it still a good weight?

Minty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it’s just fine.
Hi Susan,
thank you very much for your help and sorry if I asked so many questions! I just want to make sure my kitty is okay!🐱🐾💜

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure do understand. I would much rather have someone be very concerned about their kitten’s health rather than ignoring it.