How old is a tom when he gets his jowls?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took in a tomcat. . .um, probably in February, I forget exactly but it was pretty cold. And he's been living in my spare bathroom since then. Anyway, I'm the world's worst procrastinator, plus he's very polite and doesn't spray or get upset about living in the bathroom, so I only just now made an appointment to have him neutered (on Tuesday). While holding him for the vet to give him his shots and FeLV/FIV test (negative, thankfully), I realized how very muscular and jowly he is. Built like a bull. I thought he was fairly young, but then I read another thread here where someone said that toms don't usually get full jowls until they're 3 or so. I guess I've never really seen a well-cared-for indoor fully mature tomcat before---strays/ferals and farmcat toms always look pretty beat-up and scrawny. And I've always had new strays neutered quickly so they never got the chance to fatten up as toms.

So, for those who know show toms, or otherwise have experience with well-cared-for tomcats, anyone know exactly when males get those big jowls? He first showed up the summer of 2013 and I thought he looked to be about 6 months old at the time. So that would make him about 1 1/2 or 2 now. But he may have just been skinny and undernourished and looked younger.

Also, any guesses how long it'll take before he loses those big cheeks? Or do late-neuter toms keep big jowls? I'll take pictures once a week to see how his head/body changes without testosterone.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My knowledge is the jowls come about 3 yrs old, and they are there for good, they won't go away once he is neutered :)

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The three years is just an average. I think it depends on when each male finishes becoming sexually mature. Some are early and some are late developers. :D
The thick neck and chubby cheeks are the result of testosterone acting on the muscles. So it also depends on the males testosterone level to how muscular they get.

I've always found that late neuter toms do lose some of the muscle. Not all of it they still have jowls and thicker necks than early neuters. But I found they do lose some muscle tone over time ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The funny thing is that he never was antsy to go out and he never sprayed even once. Never acted "tommy" at all. Maybe all his testosterone was used up making muscles? :tongue2: The vet tech even commented on how muscly his neck was, said she couldn't even get a hold on his scruff to restrain him to administer the anesthetic.

Well, no change yet :D. I'm not sure how long I'll wait to introduce him to the other cats. He did get out of the bathroom a couple times and there were no riots so I think he'll do OK. But I don't want hormones to complicate things. I'll definitely give him at least a week to heal but probably I'll wait longer to let his hormone level go down a bit more.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That post is from 2014, but I'm glad you brought it back up! You are right, they don't go completely away. I think about three too is the age when they come on. I have had two-year-olds neutered and they didn't have the jowls. Keep on posting, we always learn a lot from all our members!