How often to replace household items

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sponge - agree
Sower curtain liner - don't use one because the cats like to chew plastic, we use one of those cloth curtains that are water repellent and wash it periodically...we're going on a good 4-5 years now with it.
Microwave filter - they have filters????
Toilet brush - when the bristles at the end are all flat and I'm fed up with how hard I have to work to scrub my toilet.
Bath Mat - we use cotton mats and they get washed, so will be replaced when they fray.
Bed pillows - when lumpy and uncomfortable
Sheets - when they have holes in them
Bath towels - when they have holes or are frayed - but then they just become rags for big messes instead
Non-stick cookware - I honestly don't know...when it's no longer "non-stick"???
Throw pillows - Ne-vahhhh!!!! JK, but I have some throw pillows that are REALLY old. They don't get used, so they are still in perfect condition.
Mattress - Mine is currently 15 years old...I'll let you know when we get a new one...but we are getting due.
Couch - Mine are currently 11 years old...they are fine and still comfy...
Smoke detector - 7 years....they won't let you not replace them as they will beep non stop when their manufactured life span has ended.
Small kitchen appliances - when they break.
Duvet insert - I don't know, but we have comforters that are still usable older then 15 years
Door mat - when it's gross.
Curtains - agree...but it's still quite a long time when cared for.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep--me, too!
Same here. My couch is between 25 and 30 years old. I can't remember if DD was already born when we got it and she's 28. Same with what is now Sophie's recliner. It was DH's. She loves it and I know that he'd approve her taking it over. The couch and recliner are both leather. They were around $2k each when we got them (not at the same time) so they are very well made and are still in really good condition. DD was 2 or 3 when we got the recliner. I'm pretty sure we already had the couch when we got the recliner.

Sophie is having a nap on her recliner right now

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sponge - when it looks grotty. I use scourers (sponge one side, rough stuff the other) and Wettexes. They don't last all that long.
Shower curtain liner - never heard of them. Are they to keep mould off the curtain? I don't have a shower curtain. Don't need one.
Microwave filter - they have filters?
Toilet brush - mine is older than I am.
Bath Mat - don't have a bath, and the shower isn't in a cubicle, so there's no point.
Bed pillows - when they're flat.
Sheets - when they have irreparable holes in them or I find cute cat print ones on sale.
Bath towels - when they have holes or are frayed - but then they just become rags for big messes instead
Non-stick cookware - don't cook, so don't own any.
Throw pillows - only when I get tired of them.
Mattress - when it's too uncomfortable.
Couch - wouldn't have replaced my favourite couch at all if I hadn't had to move interstate!
Smoke detector - not my issue, the village management take care of that. Mine was replaced last year.
Small kitchen appliances - when they break.
Duvet insert - don't have a duvet now. Between warm PJs, flannelette sheets, a sherpa blanket, knitted bedspread and two cats sleeping on me, I have no trouble keeping warm (Australian winters aren't cold by northern hemisphere standards anyway).
Door mat - when it's worn out. Which will be years, since nobody uses it.
Curtains - if I find better ones.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bet I have some of those things that are 20 years old now. Towels for sure.

I only use sponges in the bathroom and for the scrubby side. The smell of a dirty dish cloth gags me.

Smoke detectors are the only safety thing I see on that list; so that's all I would consider important. Everything else we can go by how worn it is.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's a duvet insert? I guess that means I don't have one to replace.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The insert is like the “stuffing” of the duvet/blanket. But it’s inside its own white casing if that makes sense. It’s nice because you can wash just the outside part. Tying it back in can be a little interesting but DD only has a twin so its not too bad for us.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sponge - I don't use sponges for much, certainly not in the kitchen.
Shower curtain liner - I just use the liner and I get a new one every so often
Microwave filter - they have filters?
Toilet brush - I use clorox that you can throw away after use
Bath Mat - Don't have one
Bed pillows - When they aren't comfortable anymore. Husband has had his for over 40 years. He's comfortable with it. I had mine from when I was a kid that had foam rubber filling until the foam rubber started crumbling.
Sheets - When they're worn out. (2 years?? Seriously? Are they assuming you never wash them?)
Bath towels - Pretty much never, unless they get so thin and ratty you can't use them.
Non-stick cookware - Not unless the non-stick stuff might start to come off.
Throw pillows - I don't have any
Mattress - When it starts to fall apart?
Couch - Pretty much never.
Smoke detector - I remember we replaced them at least once, but I can't remember when or why. Usually just replace the batteries
Small kitchen appliances - When they break.
Duvet insert - Don't know exactly what a duvet is, but we don't have one.
Door mat - I had to get up and look, but we don't have one
Curtains - Never, unless they fall apart in the wash. Our back window curtains did, and I am having a difficult time finding any that will go on the already installed rods