How Often Should Raw Fed Kittens Poop?

DragonsNKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That pretty much sums it up. One of my littles has a slightly bloated belly, and I'm trying to figure out if she could be constipated.

albercheck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. My 8 month kitten (on raw since 3 months old) seems to have adopted a normal poop schedule of every 2.5-3 days (plus he pees 2-3 times/day). From what I've seen perusing the forums, 2 or 3 days to poop is normal on raw. Plain pumpkin or psyllium fiber can help if she is constipated, and also adding in some water to the raw food might be good. Also make sure the bone content isn't too high, as that can cause constipation. **However, if she has a bloated belly and seems uncomfortable or in pain, or even if she is just not acting her normal self, I'd think about making a call to the vet.
(ps, when my guy was really little, like 2-3 months, he sometimes had a round little belly after eating, but that was probably just normal roly-poly baby kitten cuteness).

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 7-month kitten poops at least once a day. My senior cat is about every 2 days.

If the poops are too dry/crumbly or white-ish colored, there is too much bone in the diet, which can be constipating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DragonsNKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys. She saw the vet last week, and she commented on the baby's belly at that point. She said we should deworm. Today's the last day of the 5 day course of dewormer, but no improvement in the fat belly. I use a boneless ground with supplements, so bone content isn't an issue. I did add some pumpkin this morning to see if that helps. Maybe she's just naturally roly poly.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if the alternate calcium sources can cause constipation the same way bone calcium can. If her poops look ok, it probably is something else. How old is the kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DragonsNKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're just over 13 weeks. The poop I'm seeing in the litterbox is fine, but I'm not sure which kitten it belongs to. Haven't seen any abnormal poops, though, and she's still eating well and very active.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. I'd just keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't straining when she goes to the box, and try to look at her poop when she does go. That may be easier said than done with more than one kitten! :p