How often should I feed my kittens?

Sy1777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 7 week old kittens and I’m not sure if I’m over feeding them. I feed them each half of one of these kitten wet food brands either three-four times a day or when one of them starts to meow a lot. I also leave about a handful of dry food out in each of their bowls throughout the whole day and night. They don’t have any diarrhea or vomit, their bellies just get pretty big after eating the wet food so im worried im feeding them too much. Also, is this a good food brand for kittens? I’ve never owned them before so I’m not sure

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on being a new cat parent. :petcat:

About food for kittens, generally you can't overfeed them, as they're growing and need lots of calories. So leaving dry food out for them all the time is good. As is giving them the canned kitten food. I think the main difference between kitten food and adult cat food, is that kitten food is a bit more calorie dense..

If you're interested, here's a few TCS articles that might be helpful:

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition – TheCatSite Articles
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat – Part 2 – TheCatSite Articles

And since you're a new cat parent, I'll include the link to this article as well.
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can't overfeed hungry growing kittens :) A few small canned food meals daily plus a small amount of dry to snack on is perfectly fine :agree: If the kittens still seem hungry, give more food. Some kittens can eat an entire 3 oz can of food within minutes and still be hungry.

Nature's Variety Instinct is a good brand IMO. Royal Canin is not thought highly of because the brand is pretty poor quality. The canned is only slightly better than the dry. What country are you in? Members can suggest other brands of kitten food and "all life stages" food to feed.