How often should i check on and visit my stray/feral cat

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I recently began taking care of a feral/stray cat. He currently lives in my unused guest bathroom. He has only been living here for about 2 days. He isn’t adjusting too terribly so far he’s eating and using the litter box and has been camped out in my tub. He shows no interest in the food when i’m in there, which i expected. earlier i was changing out the litter box and went over to check on him and i guess spooked him and he jumped (he can jump so high 😭) and scrambled trying to find a new place to hide, i immediately left the room. So i’m just wondering how often should i go in there, should i exclusively go in there to feed him for now, or should i check in regularly so he gets used to me. Or is that something i should be doing further down the line?

CalicoKittyDaisy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too rescued a stray/feral kitten after she was hit by a car. After veterinary treatment she made full recovery from a broken foot and leg. To adjust herself to indoor life I did everything very slowly. The first few weeks I went to her room 3 times a day. I sat down, talked to her and when she was ready she let me scratch her. Introduction to my old cat went surprisingly well. They each have their own room and they also spend time together. Both of my cats are rescues and they are family.
Best wishes for you and your kitty.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would think that regular visits would be best. Maybe not going over to look into the tub for a while; just sit and talk quietly to him. Are you tapping on the door before opening it, to warn him that you're coming in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would think that regular visits would be best. Maybe not going over to look into the tub for a while; just sit and talk quietly to him. Are you tapping on the door before opening it, to warn him that you're coming in?
no but i will start doing that, he’s started hiding in a box i left out for him. He was on the counter again when i went in this morning, but by the time i had gotten his food ready he was in the box. I’ll start tapping before i go in and maybe i’ll start reading out loud to him or something.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
………………and scrambled trying to find a new place to hide, i immediately left the room. So i’m just wondering how often should i go in there, should i exclusively go in there to feed him for now, or should i check in regularly so he gets used to me. Or is that something i should be doing further down the line?
It’s just 2 days. Visit him as much as possible. He is terrifies because he’s in a new environment. He has not settled down yet. The more he sees you, the more trusting he’ll be as he’ll realize that you are no threat to him. Keep feeding him and sit in the bathroom a distance away from him. Try to get an extended spoon and feed him. If he does not want to eat in your presence, it’s ok, at least he does eat after you leave which is better than not eating. Take things a little slow here and once more or less he gets used to you, sit in and watch him eat. Always speak to him with a calm and loving voice.

Keep your movements slow and gentle while you clear the litterbox. You don’t want to spook him further or spook him all the time. He needs lots of assurance to keep him calm. I agree with what poolcat poolcat mentioned. Announce your arrival. It’s normal for him to hide in the box but at least he’s up on the counter and not always hiding and this is a good sign.