How Often Should I Bathe My Long Hair Cat?

evansmissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Although we've had several cats, Fuzzy is the first with long hair. Since he joined our family in June, I've been bathing him every 2 weeks. Today, when I took him for a sanitary clip, I mentioned this to the groomer who said I was bathing him too often; I should only bathe him every 4 months or risk drying his skin. He always looks so nice and fluffy after a bath and a couple of weeks later his fur gets flatter and sort of oily looking. Is every 2 weeks too often?

Attachments

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, personally, I bathe cats only in an emergency: i.e. the cat got into something nasty and I don't want her licking that stuff off, or it just smells too bad. Examples include a cat who decided to explore in the fire place or an outdoor cat who ran into a skunk. Otherwise I just let the cat bathe herself.

Brushing is another matter. With a long haired cat frequent grooming is a must, especially during shedding season.

Fuzzy is gorgeous, by the way. Don't you just love looking at a sleeping cat? So relaxed.

Margret

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never bath my cats unless they get into something gross or dangerous (had one get diesel on him another get bug spray on her, etc). Over bathing will cause overly oily problems because you are striping the oils every time you bath him. His skin keeps getting dried out, causing his body to produce extra to compensate and it ends up being a cycle of dry/oily.
If the oily fur is what started you giving him baths you may want to look at other aspects of his life, certain foods can cause oiliness, if he is not neutered he can get what is called stud tail, which is kind of like acne in humans which comes with oily skin particularly around the lower back/base of the tail. Also with long haired cats you need to brush them regularly to help distribute the oils through their fur, like a human with long hair, you need to move the oils down the length of the fur.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't there some kind of powder you can use to give your cat a dry bath? I used to use corn starch to remove excess oil from my own hair when I didn't have the time to dry it properly as well as wash it.

Margret

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Each cat is going to be slightly different. Twice a month is more then most but as long as you are using a gentle soap it won't be damaging to most. Personally, I have short hair cats so baths are as needed only.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evansmissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, personally, I bathe cats only in an emergency: i.e. the cat got into something nasty and I don't want her licking that stuff off, or it just smells too bad. Examples include a cat who decided to explore in the fire place or an outdoor cat who ran into a skunk. Otherwise I just let the cat bathe herself.

Brushing is another matter. With a long haired cat frequent grooming is a must, especially during shedding season.

Fuzzy is gorgeous, by the way. Don't you just love looking at a sleeping cat? So relaxed.

Margret
Thanks Margaret! I do brush him several times a week (often when he's sleeping- lol. He's 6 months old and very busy). I've been using a grooming spray called "Pet Pleasant Pet Spray" with Lavender and Primrose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evansmissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Each cat is going to be slightly different. Twice a month is more then most but as long as you are using a gentle soap it won't be damaging to most. Personally, I have short hair cats so baths are as needed only.
Thank you! I know! I'm 58, have always had cats and used to laugh at my friend when she talked about bathing her cat. Yet, when we got Fuzzy our vet said he was too little to put on Advantage or Bravecto. Fuzzy is indoors but we go camping and he loves to be outside on his leash. So, it began in hopes of preventing a flea issue. I've been using Espree Natural Kitten Shampoo. I also check him with a flea comb often.

Attachments