How often do you run your dishwasher?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since we've done the laundry question, here's one for dishwashers.
1645459247452.png

I usually run it every third day, though there's been the odd time I've run it twice in the same day.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine's one of those space-savers--it's only 18" wide, so a lot of pots and pans have to be washed by hand. I hand-wash most dishes anyway, but the dishwasher seems to do a better job than I do, so I intermittently do a load just to make sure they get thoroughly cleaned.

After all that, I'd have to say none of the above schedules fit my use pattern. Sometimes, I only run it once a week.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely use it. The quality of this dishwasher Isn't as good as the previous one. It has confusing electronics.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually once a day. Maybe every 2 days but no more than that. I hate the way dirty dishes start to smell if left in a dishwasher, even if rinsed.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
None. I don't use the dishwasher. I don't generate enough dirty dishes and stuff in a day much less a week to justify running the machine. It's easier to hand wash.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don't do any dishes for 3 days?
It's not as bad as it sounds, as I rinse off the dishes, utensils, etc., before putting them in the dishwasher. And since it's just me (well, Ruby too) when I eat leftovers, or portions from the freezer, I don't use many dishes, so it can take 3 days to have enough to run a full load. If I cook or bake a lot, it fills up faster.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Every three days as well. I don't generate enough dishes in one day and, despite having a three year old dishwasher (I'm looking at you Whirlpool!), I have found that the internal disposal system is not that great and leftover particles don't just magically disappear with the waste water.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not as bad as it sounds, as I rinse off the dishes, utensils, etc., before putting them in the dishwasher. And since it's just me (well, Ruby too) when I eat leftovers, or portions from the freezer, I don't use many dishes, so it can take 3 days to have enough to run a full load. If I cook or bake a lot, it fills up faster.
Same here

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dishes don't complain. There's nothing on earth more patient than a sinkful of dirty dishes.
In 3 days, our dishes would be piled to the ceiling. Plus I like to wash & refill my water bottles and wash my sandals/shower shoes at the end of the day in the dish water.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every three days as well. I don't generate enough dishes in one day and, despite having a three year old dishwasher (I'm looking at you Whirlpool!), I have found that the internal disposal system is not that great and leftover particles don't just magically disappear with the waste water.
I had a similar problem. The spray nozzles kept getting plugged by yellowish pieces that I couldn't identify. Often, I couldn't get them out and had to buy new nozzles. Finally, I figured it out. Peanuts! I like chunky peanut butter and the pieces were working their way up into the nozzles. Just rinsing things off better took care of it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I found that with Fancy Feast grilled texture cat food. It was everywhere so I began rinsing the dishes and things did improve. So much for the commercial where someone shoves an entire two layer cake in the dishwasher and it disappears.