How often do you completely clean out your litterbox?

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one kitten and one litterbox and have so far only used Ever Clean. I scoop at least twice a day and clean the whole box every 2-3 weeks with dish soap (?) and a kitchen spray that's supposed to kill almost all bacteria.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just started using Arm 'N Hammer unscented. Suki hasn't seemed to notice! I didn't like the smell of the other. I scoop several times a day and and the first thing in the morning.
j
Clump and Seal Multi-Cat is my favorite litter.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have one cat and 2 litter boxes. I use Arm and Hammer clumping litter, and never dump and replace all the litter, just top up, as needed.

Ruby is a side/end pee-er and poop-er, so waste does unfortunately sometimes stick to the sides. If it doesn't fall off, I use paper towels to remove. And to clean the residue, I use Petkin Litter Box wipes. Once every 2 weeks, I dump all the litter into an old plastic litter container, and clean the entire litter box with the wipes, replace the litter and top up with new litter.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
In the last cat forum I was in there was a woman that said that she knew some breeders that would sterilize their little boxs by washing them in a dishwasher to kill any disease the cats might have. I would never eat at their house.

Where do you get the disposanle litter boxes and how much do they cost?

I used to have 8 cats and had 4 litter boxes. I just did not have room for 9 boxes. I would scoop the boxes as often as I could and dump and clean them every 2 weeks. I never had a odor problem. I would boil water and use Dawn to wash the boxes.
That is gross really gross! The are a couple of cat litter box clubs and I think you can just go to Amazon and get the items.

Meezers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I despise cleaning the box, so I’ve been using the nature’s miracle disposable boxes for a long time. However, it is almost impossible to find them locally, much less at a low price, and after recently ordering a batch and then disposing of an ungodly amount of cardboard and plastic packing materials, I am thinking I may go back to a regular box. I could replace it every six months for about the same cost as the disposables, but then I’m throwing away plastic instead of cardboard (though my order from petco also came with a bunch of air bubble type plastic packing). Kitties are bound to mess up the sides of the box so I’ll probably have to clean it fairly regularly even if I replace it often.
I scoop once a day and every week I throw the kitty litter, wash the container and put new kitty litter.

wily1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I scoop whenever I notice Tim has done his business, or as soon as I get home from work etc. I do a complete change and wash out his litter box once a month.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't completely dumped Tuff's box in months. I scoop real good once a day and refill with the amount I scooped out. No odor. I use Fresh Step.

wily1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also add fresh litter to compensate for what I scoop out and Arm and Hammer Litter Deodorizer pretty much daily. Tim sometimes digs around pretty good and lots ends up on the litter mat.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is gross really gross! The are a couple of cat litter box clubs and I think you can just go to Amazon and get the items.
Yes, that is gross. I'll check with Amazon for the disposable litter boxes. I'm in assisted living and my sister has been caring for my cat. She is moving and I may have to bring him here to live. He is semi feral and I don't know how that is going to work out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought the giant corner plastic box from Nature’s Miracle. Petsmart has it for $13.99 right now. They mostly use the box in my small main level bathroom and make a mess. The jumbo size disposable box is still much smaller than this one. I’m tired of litter all over the floor and stuck to the wall!

I do use world’s best multi-cat litter. With this box I can put a deeper layer in. And now that I have Sophie’s tummy issue sorted out hopefully it will be better anyway. I scoop it at least twice a day, usually more, but I hate dumping it out and cleaning the whole thing. I may try the puppy pads and will look for the litter box wipes—I’m guessing it wouldn’t be good to use a chlorox wipe? Or maybe that’s ok too?

I‘ve usually been able to get the Nature‘s Miracle jumbo boxes for about $9.60 per 2 pack at chewy or petco or petsmart. Used to be able to get them for that price on Amazon but not recently. I just hate all the wasted packaging but the local stores usually either don’t have them or the price is a lot higher. Any other disposable box I’ve seen is smaller and these are already not as big as I’d like. Maybe other kitties are more ladylike than my girls. 😂

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Dr Elsey’s multi cat clumping litter, in the box. I have no place to store the bag; plus it tears and is too heavy for me. I get it delivered by Chewy.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Dr Elsey’s multi cat clumping litter, in the box. I have no place to store the bag; plus it tears and is too heavy for me. I get it delivered by Chewy.
I've been buying Frisco in a large plastic bag and it is difficult when I have leftover, I thought about getting a storage tub and a large scoop to store it.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one Litter Robot and two regular boxes for 12 cats.
Oh I would love one or two of those! But yeah, seems so expensive and I think not yet available where I am.

waddle waddle - I scoop at least twice a day: one in the morning and another at night before we all get to bed. Then once a week like most of us here we totally dump all the remaining litter and clean the boxes with soap, water and disinfectant.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why I usually clean the boxes outside. Either Boone or Gracie will sit in the box after it's been dumped while I am cleaning the other in the sink or stationary tub.
View attachment 361995
This is why I recommend buying duplicate boxes. Prepare the clean duplicate first with fresh litter. Replace the dirty in two seconds. Take up the dirty box and clean it without your furry foreman.