How NOT to make a first impression

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I met a new colleague (A) today. We introduced ourselves, made small talk, and then another colleague (B) with whom I talk to frequently came over. We said hi and I asked B how Ralph, her puppy, is doing. In turn, she asked me how Jed is doing. 

In the middle of the conversation, A asked, "What are you going to do with your cat once you move?" (I'm not permanently settled, and have plans to move).

"Bring him with me, of course."

A then remarked, "I say this all the time, but you people treat animals like they're human. I don't get it. It's just a cat. In my country, animals don't get treated better than people."

About the worst thing someone can say to a cat parent. 
 Apparently bringing a cat with me is treating him better than people. I shudder to think what she does to a relative or family member if they have to move... leave them up for adoption? 

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh dear, that's really not going to win you any animal loving friends, is it? 

I always wonder how people who just dump their unwanted pets at shelters treat their relatives. Can you imagine dropping Grandma off at an old person's home saying, "We don't want her any more, she's old and incontinent."

Actually, now that I think of it, there probably are some people out there who would do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, now that I think of it, there probably are some people out there who would do that.
Yes.. 
you'd be surprised how common that is. Even in Asia, where family values are supposed to be paramount.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have you heard the term "granny dumping"? There are actually people who abandon elderly relatives on the streets, just like they would an unwanted pet.

It takes all kinds.

catladylou

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg thats wrong, i also i moving in april the lastest and i would never think off not taking my babys with me. Our cats are our children,

katie joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I met a new colleague (A) today. We introduced ourselves, made small talk, and then another colleague (B) with whom I talk to frequently came over. We said hi and I asked B how Ralph, her puppy, is doing. In turn, she asked me how Jed is doing. 

In the middle of the conversation, A asked, "What are you going to do with your cat once you move?" (I'm not permanently settled, and have plans to move).

"Bring him with me, of course."

A then remarked, "I say this all the time, but you people treat animals like they're human. I don't get it. It's just a cat. In my country, animals don't get treated better than people."

About the worst thing someone can say to a cat parent. :rasp:  Apparently bringing a cat with me is treating him better than people. I shudder to think what she does to a relative or family member if they have to move... leave them up for adoption? :lol3:
That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard! Luckily for your cat, your morals are not the same as his. He clearly isn't an animal lover.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that he NEVER gets a pet if that is what his attitude is! I have to admit though, I was never as 'rabid' about my animal welfare beliefs until I was a little older. I am sick with guilt when I think of several animals I rehomed when I was younger, although I did find them good homes. To me a pet is not just a pet, they are a valued member of the family and deserve to be treated as one. My cats pee on the floor once in a while, and throw up too, but so did my kids! I totally agree with the screening processes they have now to adopt a pet, I truly hope they can spot people such as 'A' and not allow them to adopt. I wish we could do the same for potential human parents too. I somehow don't trust people like A, much less become friendly with them. They seem to be 'flawed' somehow in the empathy department and I can't accept that!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It's bizarre that he posed the question at all, as if moving = rehoming pets by default. Odd.

Was my first thought as well.

I've had friends who moved several times and took their pets (cats, dogs, reptiles) each time.

In any event, the fact that this person even made the comment shows a lack of perception on their part.  It smacks of self-centeredness and a touch of arrogance... Or maybe it's just pure obliviousness.  Either way, not someone I'd be associating with on a social basis if I could help it.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
can I go punch him in the nose?

Rascal, who has to go outside to keep from getting mad, has moved three times. It's easy with him, because he thinks the world is his territory (he's lord of catnip, the universe and everything).