How Much To Pay A Cat Sitter

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking differently than humans, most of the time.

So if I would hire someone, I would first consider what kind of money would allow me to spend required time and earning enough to pay bills, by food etc. which gives base price.

Then I would consider requirements of job, education, security etc. which all increase from that base price.

If I would pay less than what I come up with, I would feel like stealing from that person as person has to live and pay bills too.

Also if price would be really low it would mean that person would need to cut expenses from living, or gain additional income, which brings up question of security.

That's a lot of thought in regards to Jenny stopping by the house on her way home from school to check on things and feed the cat for a few days while I'm gone.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

So if I would hire someone, I would first consider what kind of money would allow me to spend required time and earning enough to pay bills, by food etc. which gives base price.

Then I would consider requirements of job, education, security etc. which all increase from that base price.

If I would pay less than what I come up with, I would feel like stealing from that person as person has to live and pay bills too.

I make a point of being fair than then going some above that.

Also if price would be really low it would mean that person would need to cut expenses from living, or gain additional income, which brings up question of security.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Not so different - That's exactly what "living wage" vs "minimum wage" is in my post. What you describe is generally for full time employment. When it's part time it's very much up to the employer. One train of thought is that part time jobs are supposed to be supplemental income not primary income so "minimum wage" is generally accepted. The other train of thought is that a part time job's definition has changed to basically include full time work so a "good" employer will pay a living wage. Neither is wrong but if you're working someone just shy of full time hours with no consistency in shifts and paying them minimum wage - you're probably taking advantage. Which these days is pretty much every major retailer, restaurant chain, etc.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Not so different - That's exactly what "living wage" vs "minimum wage" is in my post. What you describe is generally for full time employment. When it's part time it's very much up to the employer. One train of thought is that part time jobs are supposed to be supplemental income not primary income so "minimum wage" is generally accepted. The other train of thought is that a part time job's definition has changed to basically include full time work so a "good" employer will pay a living wage. Neither is wrong but if you're working someone just shy of full time hours with no consistency in shifts and paying them minimum wage - you're probably taking advantage. Which these days is pretty much every major retailer, restaurant chain, etc.
Unless this is a person doing this as a hobby or a teenager in high school, the sitter probably has set rates already. The thing that will impact cost most in terms of minimum wage is if the sitter is an employee. Yes, there are pet sitters that grow so big they have to hire someone! Or many someones in some cases. If the sitter is the business owner, minimum wage doesn't matter. If the sitter is an employee, it most definitely matters.

And another thing - if a sitter is an employee, and is doing an overnight sit, they get paid for the full time they are there (even while sleeping). So if you ever have an overnight sitter and the price seems high, it's probably a pretty sweet deal if you do the math.

All that said, a lot of employees of pet sitting services are doing this part-time in addition to other jobs, so a living wage isn't necessarily required. My goal is to do this full-time on my own, and possibly have one very part-time employee as a backup for the busy times. So, my wages are set to an amount I find doable for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank u all for all your responses. My kittie sitter is a college student, doesn't live too far.
Another idea I had but not quite sure if I will go with is taking my cats to her place from time I leave until I get back. for same rate of pay. $15 per visit, twice a day $30 total.

She has a roommate and they have a 3 month old kitten and another cat I believe. She is open to doing that.

I just feel so bad I have to travel so much right now :(

Should I just leave them at home and she continues to come twice a day?

Thoughts?

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank u all for all your responses. My kittie sitter is a college student, doesn't live too far.
Another idea I had but not quite sure if I will go with is taking my cats to her place from time I leave until I get back. for same rate of pay. $15 per visit, twice a day $30 total.

She has a roommate and they have a 3 month old kitten and another cat I believe. She is open to doing that.

I just feel so bad I have to travel so much right now :(

Should I just leave them at home and she continues to come twice a day?

Thoughts?
Cats most definitely do better in their own home environments. Dogs may do ok with boarding, but cats as a rule do not. There are always exceptions, but considering she has a kitten at home, that may not be a good idea for your kitties, as the kitten may stress them out.

Do they typically do well when you take them out of the house for other things (eg vet)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats most definitely do better in their own home environments. Dogs may do ok with boarding, but cats as a rule do not. There are always exceptions, but considering she has a kitten at home, that may not be a good idea for your kitties, as the kitten may stress them out.

Do they typically do well when you take them out of the house for other things (eg vet)?
Tks donut te, You're right. I've taken them a few feet outside my apartment (still indoors) n they DONT like it!!
So maybe not a good idea.
I will get cameras to watch them when I travel. Mbe I can find one that they can hear my voice too!

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Tks donut te, You're right. I've taken them a few feet outside my apartment (still indoors) n they DONT like it!!
So maybe not a good idea.
I will get cameras to watch them when I travel. Mbe I can find one that they can hear my voice too!
They DO exist! I have a client that has one. I think it's a Nest Cam? But yeah, she sent me video to prove the one kitty existed because I didn't see him the entire time, haha. And it had sound, and she talked about how they would talk with the cats.