How Much To Feed

Irisinatl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there experts on kittens!

Hank and Dean are doing well. They are now 4.5 months old but they are huge! They weigh 6.5# each! When I was at the vet yesterday for their rabies vaccine she said she thought they might be weighing too much but of course you can't put a kitten on a diet. They have been on prescription diets due to their touchy gastro situation but they seem to be straightening out. If you don't mind, I'd like to show you what I'm feeding them and see if you think this is too much, I don't.....

Hills ID Chicken Stew - mixed with RC Thin slices in gravy, or pate, or wellness Core pate -- they eat about 6.5 ounces each day. Everything I read says they should have 2 oz per can of per body weight which is 12 ounces per day!

They free feed on Royal Canin High Energy gastro but I'm in the process of changing to Royal Canin kitten dry. They, together, eat about 1/2C of that daily.

I just don't see how I could be overfeeding them. Any opinions out there?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All I can tell you for sure is that when my boys were that age, one was thin and the other was kind of on the pudgy side. I was concerned that the pudgy one would end up fat. At one year of age we were told he was FOUR pounds over weight! How could that be, I asked myself. I always thought kittens should eat as much as they wanted. Well, I guess some kittens will simply eat all day long if given the chance. I suppose it depends on their background, and if they didn't know if they were going to get another meal or not...who knows. So anyway, what i'd do is call your Vet back and ask them just how many calories your boys should get each day NOW, and as they grow. Then check the cans and bags to see their caloric intake and match it up.

BTW, what is stated on cat food is usually on the high side, so I think you can forego the 12 oz per cat per day!