How Much To Feed?

CutieBiscuit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 month old kitten and he weighs 5.2 lbs. I give him the wellness kitten wet food and the feeding instruction says feed about 2/3 can per pound of body weight per day. Does that mean I have to give him 3 cans a day? I also have the Rachael Ray's Nutrish dry food. Would I be able to mix some of that with the wet food? And how much do I give?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. I've always read that because they are still growing, you can't overfeed a kitten. Therefore, feed him as much as he wants. I wouldn't actually mix the dry with the wet food, but provide both, in separate dishes, along with fresh water, of course.

Here's a TCS article on The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition

Also, perhaps you'd like to post another thread in our New Cats on the Block and tell us about your kitten. We love pictures, btw. ;)

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet has actually warned me off adding dry food to wet. He says it can be a petri dish for cross-contamination. As I understand it, most dry food is made more appetizing by adding something called animal digest. A few websites address animal digest and how it's made. Here's one that seems fairly unbiased:
What is Animal Digest?. I would err on the side of caution when mixing wet and dry foods.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i do feed wet and dry to kittens. as much as they want to eat :) I do not mix the wet and dry. Everything i have been told and read says if you do you need to throw out what they dont eat in 20 to 30 minutes. I just always feed them in separate bowls. post a photo of you guy when you have time :)