how much sodium is okay?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm trying my best to buy turkey locally because all the meat deliveries don't want to take my paypal or card and I have no clue why. So the place closest hash turkey chubs and I think ground turkey. I didn't stop to see the sodium because my anxiety was thru the roof and I wanted meat-on-the-bone but clearly that's not gonna happen unless I wanna go our 24miles..sigh.
anyways, what is the OK amount of sodium per serving size? say, a serving size of 4oz for example.

sorry for all of the posts, I don't have any other means of asking wherein I'd get good responses or responses I can trust.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you using a supplement pre-mix, like Alnutrin? You could contact the manufacturer and ask them.
Perhaps someone else here will know...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sodium level per 4 oz. serving should be less than 100 mg,
Right, this is what I check on the meat labels when I buy meat for the cats: less than 100 mg of sodium per serving of whatever the meat is. Sometimes I mix them -- adding chicken breast to chicken thighs -- to "dilute" the higher sodium in one of the meats. I never buy meat with salt added, though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The sodium level per 4 oz. serving should be less than 100 mg,
Thank you! I managed to buy 6lbs of meat because of your help. Specter is pleased! 5lbs of ground turkey and 1lb of beef.. We're trying to add beef again, I hope that works cause she likes it but last time I tried cooking her steak, she puked even though it was boiled not fried. :confused2: So I took that as she just has an intolerance.. UNtil I just realized one of her tiki is chicken and beef and her u-stew uses beef, so I'm thinking it was because it was a fatty, rich steak rather than lean; loww fat ground beef? and probably because I gave her too much at once. dunno. i'd like to get her to a point where her rotation can be u-stew beef; chicken; turkey, sporadic between days. we will get there .. ihope in the future we just don't need tiki cat or preferably it's a once a week thing because its pretty overpriced for being not even enough to fill her up ... im rambling! Need coffee.

Last edited:

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Willow thinks you might be right. She took to the 20 lbs of "dog meat" for $20 right away when I added beef to her rotation, but the pretty red 20% fat ground beef I brought home for a treat is getting snubbed.

Local is more work but so worth it. I could never afford to feed my kids this well if I didn't give my money to someone who could never afford to breed her kids (pet fancy mice and rats) as well without my help. Your local 4-H club might be able to connect you with a good source of rabbit if Specter likes that. Our farmers markets usually have meat too.