Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

How Much Iodine?

Discussion in 'Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food' started by Graceful-Lily, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Graceful-Lily

Graceful-Lily Thread Starter TCS Member Super Cat

May 30, 2016
    Orbiting the Earth. . .
    I'm not new to feeding raw but with Felix having hyperthyroidism now, I'm wondering how much iodine is in raw meat? Would it be possible for him to get better on a raw diet alone?

2. Furballsmom

Furballsmom Cat Fan especially Black Cats Staff Member Forum Helper

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA

3. mschauer

mschauer TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    The only way to effectively treat hyperthyroidism in a cat is with the close supervision of a vet. It is not something you can do yourself via diet modification.

Furballsmom purraised this.

4. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    They can destroy part of the thyroid with a radioactive medication that specifically targets the thyroid, or surgically remove part of it. I would discuss with your vet what the options are and if it is even possible to control hyperthyroidism through diet. This is a serious, life threatening condition and you definitely need medical facts, not internet or other people's findings. Good luck, and please keep us posted on what you find out!

Furballsmom and mschauer purraised this.

5. Graceful-Lily

Graceful-Lily Thread Starter TCS Member Super Cat

May 30, 2016
    Orbiting the Earth. . .
    I am aware of all the treatment options. Was just wondering about a raw diet.

6. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    Diet is certainly important your cat should be receiving approx. 60% protein and 40% fat in the diet to maintain. And a raw diet is certainly the closest to this and more likely the healthiest. But this is to maintain, I saw no evidence that it actually cures the ailment, or even controls it. Only surgery/meds can keep it under control, But certainly ask your vet.

Graceful-Lily purraised this.