How Much Interactive Time Is Required?

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have posted here before regarding behavioral issues with my three cats. There has definitely been improvement and some of the issues were probably related to the fact that we had just moved from one side of the country to the other. That and a new home to adjust to.

There is a new cat in the neighbourhood. She is a calico, declawed and spayed. Everyone has been feeding her, she is living under cars. I have contacted vets and the humane society to see if anyone has lost their cat. She is beautiful. Lovely temperament, constantly purrs and loves to be petted. I called the humane society and they will take her in for adoption. Presently, she is being stalked by a couple of neighborhood cats that have also started harrassing my outdoor cats. I have her in my back porch for now until an opening comes up at the humane society. However, I would really like to keep her. She is definitely a people cat, loves attention and comes when you meow. With the difficulties I have had with the other cats, I am leery about trying to introduce a declawed cat to clawed cats. I have a room off the bathroom that she could live in. I can sit in there to be with her throughout the day, but I worry about her being too isolated seeing as she is so friendly. Is this a reasonable set-up for her? I will attempt introductions but am prepared if it doesn't work out. Or should I let the humane society find a home for ?

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
First I think it is great that you want to help her.
However if I were you I would bring her inside in a safe room as soon as possible. She is declawed and can't defend herself against the dangers that can be found outside. Dogs for example are afraid of kitties claws, without it she is defenseless. Regarding the isolation for the moment it is necessary that she is kept seperate from your other cats, you just don't have a choice. Introductions need always to be taken slowly, and you don't know yet if she is healthy before bringing her to a vet and you don't want your kitties to catch something from her. For the moment I am sure she will be fine if you can spend a lot of time with her during the day it is already more than she has now :). However at term yes she will need to be incorporated into the household if you want to keep her. I am not sure what was your issues with your cats so I don't have any particular advice regarding keeping her or not :( But I would just say that if you want to keep her just know that introductions will need to be slow (espescially as she is declawed) and might take a few months. But that if you take it slow the odds are that everyone will learn to tolerate each other.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do bring her inside if you can especially If you have room. It's dangerous out there for her - especially having no claws either to defend herself if atracked by other cats . She sounds like she was somebody's pet once; especially if friendly. Feed and comfort her and play with her there with interactive toys! Please take her in asap if can i worry for Her . Thank you for helping

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I already have her inside my back porch. She can't get out and no other cats can get in. I was sick with worry about her. I get up everyday at 5 to feed my birds, cats and dog and I was rushing outside to feed her and make sure she was okay. I was having trouble sleeping at night so I had to bring her in.
My other cats live a life of toleration. They really are not great friends with each other and have learned to co-exist and not kill each other...lol

The question for me is: Is it selfish of me to want to keep her, even though it may not be feasible to have her integrated with the other cats or is it in her best interest to be given to the humane society for adoption. I worry about isolation if she is unable to be incorporated into the household and only given a few hours of attention daily. If she gets adopted and gets out again....and she is quite the little roamer...she is still at risk. I am just a worrier.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok sorry yes she is in your porch ! Yes I would worry too but you are doing best for her . Does she have toys in the porch too ? When can you get her to vets to health check ? If you have grown fond her could be difficult to hand her over to the society ! Also God knows what would happen . All cats have different personalities and temperaments maybe she will be okay !

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I say you should hand her over, yeah. If it's no-kill and she's as friendly as you say she will get adopted in no time - by someone who can probably offer her more room, and therefore maybe a more "full" life, you know? For what I understand she'd be living in just one room? I wouldn't want that for any sentient being to be honest. I understand your concerns though and I think you're very sweet to worry about her, but you've got to trust that a sweet cat like that will find a perfect forever home. Where she can roam around and feel like the Queen of the castle. Declawed kitties tend to have insecurity issues around other cats for what I know, and being confined to one room isn't an optimal existence imo.

I admire what you're doing for this cat though and it warms my heart to see that you are thinking about what would be best for her. All the best luck to you, your kitties, and declawed kitty.