How Much Home Cooked To Give?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you make home cooked. How much do they get per day? Tryinging to figure cost. If you use 1 pound of meat and the mix. How many meals is that?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on your cat. My cat eats around 3 ounces twice a day so a pound would last a little over 2 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends on your cat. My cat eats around 3 ounces twice a day so a pound would last a little over 2 days.
So it close to the amount you would feed if feeding canned food

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you make home cooked. How much do they get per day? Tryinging to figure cost. If you use 1 pound of meat and the mix. How many meals is that?
I don't think there is any easy way to answer this question because it really varies depending on the type of meat and cut. For me, I do 1kg batches of cooked rabbit meat (not raw) at a time. Every 100 grams is approximately 210 calories. 1kg of cooked rabbit lasts me about 6 days feeding 300-350 calories a day.

For cooked chicken breast 100 grams of cooked food is about 175 calories. Cooked ground beef is about 235 calories per 100 grams.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you cook the rabbit? Boil it? Pan-fry it? Bake it? I have 10 lbs of boneless rabbit from Hare Today, and I'm not sure when Krista wants to eat raw again. But I wouldn't mind cooking some up for her now and again, if she'll eat it.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do you cook the rabbit? Boil it? Pan-fry it? Bake it? I have 10 lbs of boneless rabbit from Hare Today, and I'm not sure when Krista wants to eat raw again. But I wouldn't mind cooking some up for her now and again, if she'll eat it.
I usually put rabbit in the slow cooker and add water, then cook it on low for 6 hours. Mostly I do it this way because I cook whole rabbits and it can be really hard to separate the meat. Slow cooking it until the meat falls off the bone makes it easier to work with, and I get the added benefit of a nice broth to mix in for extra water. After that I run the meat through the food processor with the supplements and broth to mix everything together.

If I could order boneless meat from hare today I would just poach it :)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t know if this helps you because I feed it raw, but here’s how much mine get:
  • Lily, age 14, 10.5 lbs.: 4.5 to 5 ozs. daily. It should be closer to 4 ozs. a day because she’s a pudge bottom, but when I restrict her that much, she’s always angry and becomes growly and bitey.
  • Iris, age 14, 9.3 lbs.: 4 ozs. daily
  • Mocha, age 4, 9.5 lbs.: 4 ozs. daily. She’s much more active than the oldsters.
Three pounds of meat + 3-4 ozs. of liver + two raw egg yolks + the individual supplements + one cup of water feed my three for about 4 1/2 days.

When I use a pound of ground meat and EZ Complete, I get one-and-a-half days of food for three cats.

I rotate chicken, turkey and rabbit.