How Much Food To Feed A Stray?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qtpidani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK all, this is likely a stupid question.... I've only had inside and fixed cats. My stray came by again and ate an entire can of food. I didn't see her come up on the porch to eat, but I heard her "talking" on the porch of the house across the street after she ate. She isn't being super loud or obnoxious, and I've only ever heard her "talk" like this a couple of times in the last few weeks. So is that more of her saying "hey! Someone let me in" or is could it be a "hey! I'm in heat". Or either/or? :)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat was Treasure I'd say it's her way of saying "I layed claim to this human. Go find your own human" Sorry not much else help but Treasure does wind up guarding the backyard after she eats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qtpidani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the cat was Treasure I'd say it's her way of saying "I layed claim to this human. Go find your own human" Sorry not much else help but Treasure does wind up guarding the backyard after she eats.
We live in the city, so she's definitely not laying claim to anything given that she is across the street at another house. She tends to hang at or visit houses with other cats. Which makes me think her talking is her way of communicating with our indoor cats?

This little dear just breaks my heart. I really hope I can help her more than by just feeding her.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in the city, so she's definitely not laying claim to anything given that she is across the street at another house. She tends to hang at or visit houses with other cats. Which makes me think her talking is her way of communicating with our indoor cats?

This little dear just breaks my heart. I really hope I can help her more than by just feeding her.
Just another FYI: We live just outside the city. But Treasure will sometimes lay in someone else's yard and as soon as Shadow even dares come down the street, she'll make sure the Shadow does not set foot onto our property. So I don't know if my circumstances are just weird or not.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Also be patient. I started feeding these cats a year ago. Although Shaman was the first one to come close to me, Treasure was skittish and ran the distance of 1/4 acre in 2 seconds the minute I even looked out the window. A month ago I showed her that she could safely eat from the food bowl sitting 3 inches away and not be harmed or even looked at (except from my cam phone app). Literally the day after she ate with my back to her she was rubbing against me and begging to be pet. And I do believe (although she was involved in this hoarding situation) she was a true feral that wandered in and out to eat. And yet she is the first one to be domesticated and loves her attention and petting. I posted a photo of her in this thread on page one, sitting next to me. I should have named her Lassie because the way she runs to me when I come outside reminds me of the 1950s opening to Lassie when Timmy called out and Lassie came running, as this is how Treasure runs toward me. And here it all started with me wondering the same thing if I could do more for them and now I can't even walk up the street to the neighbors house without Treasure and her best friend/litter mate Shaman following me.