How much egg yolk should I start my cat out on at first?

angelface0145

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been introducing a Raw diet to my cat for almost a week now. At her vet visit they said she was a couple pounds under weight, and that yolks would help her gain. She had a litter of kittens 4 weeks ago and before that was at a healthy weight. How much yolk should I be giving her weekly?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Egg yolks do have a lot of calories, but you might need to add calcium to them to keep the CA:phos in balance.  I will refer you to this thread for info on that.  I think it starts around post 18 of that thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/259330/raw-egg-yolk-making-mazy-and-jennie-fat

Anyway, though, in answer to your initial question, Otto was feeding 2 1/2 per week to her girls, and they gained too much, so, really, I guess you could feed as much as you want as long as you balance it out with some form of calcium.  Hopefully she'll like them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelface0145

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Egg yolks do have a lot of calories, but you might need to add calcium to them to keep the CA:phos in balance.  I will refer you to this thread for info on that.  I think it starts around post 18 of that thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/259330/raw-egg-yolk-making-mazy-and-jennie-fat

Anyway, though, in answer to your initial question, Otto was feeding 2 1/2 per week to her girls, and they gained too much, so, really, I guess you could feed as much as you want as long as you balance it out with some form of calcium.  Hopefully she'll like them
Thanks, I read the discussion and found it helpful. I'm new to the idea of Raw Feeding, and would really like to get my girl too a healthy weight. I tried the egg yolk mixed with some fresh Raw chicken, with some ground bone, she ate it up. I may just give my cat 3 per week until she is gaining, then reduce to 1 1/2 per week to keep her weight, and hopefully not cause a gain. Thanks so much for the reply.