How much does it cost to feed your cat?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So...how long does that last him? About three days? :lol:
Nah, actually that would make about 45 to 60 days worth. It was a bunch of work (grinding it all up, processing to containers, freezing). But, it really wasn't all that expensive compared to "store bought" for the other cats.
But NOW....we don't do all of that.
He gets a chicken leg in the morning, and 10 ounces of diced up breast in the evening. AND he goes through 1/2 cup of Mazuri exotic feline kibble every day also. And that stuff isn't cheap.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It was a bunch of work (grinding it all up, processing to containers, freezing). But, it really wasn't all that expensive compared to "store bought" for the other cats.
Isn’t that the truth. I spent all afternoon yesterday grinding and processing what will be about a month’s worth of food for three cats. And I’m spending less money on homemade food than I did on canned.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn’t that the truth. I spent all afternoon yesterday grinding and processing what will be about a month’s worth of food for three cats. And I’m spending less money on homemade food than I did on canned.
Aside from his morning chicken leg, everything else is in a bowl. You can pet him while he's eating out of a bowl.
That chicken leg is so he gets bone, and has to break it up with his teeth (good for his teeth). BUT, a chicken leg or any chunk of meat that he can carry around? He's "Chuckie" LOL

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$80-$100 per month for 2 cats depending on what brands of food I buy. Right now they are eating Tiny Tiger, Instinct, and Wellness. Just put in next month's Chewy order for Tiny Tiger, American Journey, and Castor & Pollux Organic. I also switch up their dry food often too. Right now it is a mix of Dr Elsy and Whole Earth Farms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carrot_cake1502

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i spend probably 50 bux or more on graycies food each month cost doesnt really matter to me as long as its the best quality food i can buy that she will eat. so theres days whole cans of wet food go to waste when she doesnt like a new brand etc.
What brand cat food does graycy like?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spend about $100/month for dry and wet for mine, seems like it should be more! Maybe I didn't calculate right :think:. I do autoship from Chewy so I get a little discount, I give them Solid Gold for dry and Merrick Purrfect Bistro for wet food. Mooshoo doesn't really like wet food much so I mix some dry in it to get her to eat more of it. Luckily they will all eat from an already opened can/leftovers! They are grazers except Moo, she eats everything she can find so I have to use microchip feeders so she doesn't 40 pounds!
pics! i wanna see :lol:she must be huge 40 pounds what type of cat is she?

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was spending 150 a month per cat for wet food (450 total). Mainly Tiki Cat as well as Instinct Limited Ingredient because one of my cats has a fish allergy and pumpkin sensitivity. I'm starting to switch them over to raw now and it's looking more like 70 dollars per cat which is great. Once I eventually get a meat grinder to do it myself though I expect the cost to be closer to 30 a month per cat.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not in the US. I spend in dollars about 6 and pounds I think about 5 for two cats.
When my youngest was growing he ate more but now I can split more packets or tins between them.
I feed mostly wet with a little complete raw.
Brands:
Meowing Heads, Monge, Animonda, and Wellness Core are some of the main ones.

Carrot_cake1502 Carrot_cake1502
Is the Encore complete food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carrot_cake1502

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not in the US. I spend in dollars about 6 and pounds I think about 5 for two cats.
When my youngest was growing he ate more but now I can split more packets or tins between them.
I feed mostly wet with a little complete raw.
Brands:
Meowing Heads, Monge, Animonda, and Wellness Core are some of the main ones.

Is the Encore complete food?
What do you mean by complete food? I get mine the wet food from encore it is very high in meat content.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The wet food in tins by Encore is not complete food, it is supplementary. So it is not nutritionally complete but a snack food.
Canagan and Thrive are similar but complete foods nutritionally.
Wellness core has chicken shreds in gravy that is complete and flaked tuna in sauce, also complete.
The supplementary tins by Encore, Schesir and others are meant to be fed along side dry food usually, so the cat gets the moisture from the tinned food but the nutritional needs from the dry.
I think it is better to just feed tins that are complete and skip the dry.

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two ladies go through two 5 pound bags of Wysong Epigen 90, and 120 pouches of Tiki Cat Broths a month. We do auto ship with Chewy, and it ends up being about $165 with the discount.

Last edited:

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
😂What a question!
I can't say how much a day any particular day costs me, as I've 11 rescues. But I think the most expensive one is the one with diabetes. Several of mine have medical issues, and I've never figured out exactly how much each costs. Probably for the better. I know more specifically know their litter costs. We go through about 200lbs a month.
Cats. Gotta love them!😁