How Much Do You Play With Your Cats?

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah: LOL! you are totally right I think cats do a fine job training their humans..Mine have trained me quite well to know what sounds mean what :catrub:
One has a trill she does while sitting & staring at us, but she appears to be sitting on springs. :hyper:
The other will keep going on the table to find her laser dot by herself, if we don't ''hop to'' quick enough.
:redtongue:

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One has a trill she does while sitting & staring at us, but she appears to be sitting on springs. :hyper:
The other will keep going on the table to find her laser dot by herself, if we don't ''hop to'' quick enough.
:redtongue:
HEHE mine will sit at the cabinet where "Da Bird" is, and coo at me till I get up and play lol and the other one will headbutt me and chirrup to let me know that dinner is already 2 minutes late :insertevillaugh:

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course, it's not just about how much time, it's also about how you play with your cat. We have an interesting article about how to play with your cat that offers tips on both topics (and more).[/QUO
TE]

Thank you; the article is helping with my technique--as my bird were transforming into mice and back mid-hunt. Now, if someone could help with my ball throwing? I have a truly lousy throwing arm; bad aim, hit Melody a lot [soft bouncy balls, no harm]. She just looks at me like, 'again'?

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This sounds terrible but I don't play with my cats most of the time. The reason is that they play with each other all the time and if you try to play with them sometimes they give me a look that says " Sorry Mom but I'm all played out right now."

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HEHE mine will sit at the cabinet where "Da Bird" is, and coo at me till I get up and play lol and the other one will headbutt me and chirrup to let me know that dinner is already 2 minutes late :insertevillaugh:
Mine wear wrist watches, I'm sure! They know to the precise minute when its treat time!
:dancingblackcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This sounds terrible but I don't play with my cats most of the time. The reason is that they play with each other all the time and if you try to play with them sometimes they give me a look that says " Sorry Mom but I'm all played out right now."
How old are your cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting, my female kitten, the tuxedo one in my profile picture will sometimes lick my face nonstop in the morning demanding breakfast. I'll cover my head with sheets for a few minutes, then remove it and she'll come back to lick more...

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a sweet thread. My almost 12 yo just lost her cat best friend (me too) so I have been spending extra time with her to help lessen the loss. Its so nice to hear how you all treat your kittens. They wont forget.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to start doing better with this. Thirteen is fine. She plays constantly. With toys, with boxes, with air if there's nothing else around. It's Atticus I worry about. He's two and does nothing but eat and sleep. If Thirteen pesters him enough he'll get a sudden burst of energy and play with her for a minute or two. I'm watching them right now and they've just finished tearing through my house and now they've taken to biting each other on the back of the neck and bunny kicking. I worry about Atticus getting too fat. He was thirteen pounds at the vet about a month ago and she wants him no bigger than twelve. He is just too darn lazy.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Every other night or so I will get the string toy out and play with Sylvester and before you know it I am surrounded by 5 or 6 cats, they will play for awhile then they get bored but they just stay there with me, they just are happy to lay there hanging out with me and each other, and some will just purr away so loudly that Deb will say "so and so has new batteries in" lol!

It is very good for them and me too, it is very calming and soothing and it is good for them to play even for 10 or 15 minutes, and seeing our oldest boy Simba who must be around 14 or 15 play just brings a smile to my face, good to see the old boy a little bit spry yet....

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have to play with Mouse for several hours a day on and off or he would be like a coiled spring. Then when he couldn't wait any longer he'd start getting up to all sorts of no good to get my attention, the last tactic being walking up to me and biting my arm (not hard) while looking me straight in the eye. :nono: Once he got to 2 or 2 1/2 he calmed down a lot but would still need to race about and want chasing a couple of times a day.

Since I've had a friend saying who has two young cats Mouse has had to get more active again. He's now 7 and had started to spend a lot more of his days sleeping. Now he has a large (almost one year old) kitten who bounces him and makes sure he doesn't get as much peace as he likes so now maybe he knows how I used to feel when he jumped at my head or bounced up on to my back. :lol: He comes to me for his snuggles and pamper time so I'm still happy even if I do miss his crazy kitten play days.

lavishsqualor lavishsqualor Mouse's weight slowly crept up to 13.2 lb (6 kilos) and despite his new feline buddies chasing him about his weight wasn't going back down. I ended up getting advice from the vet surgery on 'dieting' for him and spent 6 months keeping him on strict, weighed out rations with regular weigh-ins with the vet nurse. It was SO hard sticking to the rations with his pleading meows and desperate eyes. It's been worth everything though as he looks so lean and kitten-like again. :loveeyes: :cheerleader: (Much better for him playing 'kill the kitten', I'm sure. :evilgrin: :lol: )

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every other night or so I will get the string toy out and play with Sylvester and before you know it I am surrounded by 5 or 6 cats, they will play for awhile then they get bored but they just stay there with me, they just are happy to lay there hanging out with me and each other, and some will just purr away so loudly that Deb will say "so and so has new batteries in" lol!

It is very good for them and me too, it is very calming and soothing and it is good for them to play even for 10 or 15 minutes, and seeing our oldest boy Simba who must be around 14 or 15 play just brings a smile to my face, good to see the old boy a little bit spry yet....
What an awesome post!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got two kittens myself. 7 month and 5 month. I try to have two play sessions of 15 minutes each by themselves a day.

Everyone else?
saleri saleri : Good on you for the two play sessions. You can never have too much play with kittens IMHO! And of course, generally they will let you know when (if) they're tired of play by walking away. :runningcat::dizzycat:

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About five to ten minutes a day. He doesn't really like to play with me and the wand toys that much. He prefers playing by himself with his catnip filled toy like the lone wolf he is. But I also leave out this SlimCat toy before I leave to entertain him for like a few minutes.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The short answer is "whenever they want to and I around". It's typically five minutes here, two minutes there whenever they want to play. That might happen several times a day. You might ask "how often do you cuddle your cats" and the answer would be the same. Loki and Mia are pretty communicative, and basically tell me when they want affection, or for me to play with them.

Mia especially has a miaow which means 'cuddle time' which she then follows up by running upstairs and waiting on the bed. I then follow her upstairs (see how well trained I am) at which point she flops over and I cuddle her. This happens whenever she wants. I don't care if I am late for work, or about to miss an appointment.It takes priority over pretty much anything except the baby needing attention.

Never turn down a cuddle. You never know if it will be the last one.