How Much Do We Really Know About Fiv?

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I ask this question because I hear such a wide range of opinions from various people on the topic. Some people believe that a cat that tests positive for FIV is doomed, while others say that they know of many cats that test positive for it who have lead perfectly normal, healthy lives and died of typical diseases of older cats.

I wonder, specifically, how data on outcomes is collected and interpreted. When a person dies, there are procedures that kick in. A cause of death is determined and written down. But with cats, that doesn't happen, so how are FIV outcomes tracked? With vets, the data is potentially skewed by the fact that people often only take sick cats to the vet for treatment.

In my TNR colony, the matriarch's last litter of kittens tested positive for FIV at first, but then cleared those antibodies a few weeks later, indicating that the mother cat was probably infected, but she lived to be 19 and died of kidney failure.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ask this question because I hear such a wide range of opinions from various people on the topic. Some people believe that a cat that tests positive for FIV is doomed, while others say that they know of many cats that test positive for it who have lead perfectly normal, healthy lives and died of typical diseases of older cats.

I wonder, specifically, how data on outcomes is collected and interpreted. When a person dies, there are procedures that kick in. A cause of death is determined and written down. But with cats, that doesn't happen, so how are FIV outcomes tracked? With vets, the data is potentially skewed by the fact that people often only take sick cats to the vet for treatment.

In my TNR colony, the matriarch's last litter of kittens tested positive for FIV at first, but then cleared those antibodies a few weeks later, indicating that the mother cat was probably infected, but she lived to be 19 and died of kidney failure.
I've known people who keep FIV positive cats and they live long, healthy lives and die in their late teens, and those who realize a newly acquired cat is FIV positive and euthanize on the spot. =(
Not FIV but my great grandmother had a kitten with one of the first cases of Feline Leukemia in the area and at 6 months the vet ordered her to euthanize the kitten and she did not. The cat went home with her, and eventually lived with us (I was a very small child) when she was unable to care for him and he died of (I believe) renal disease....at 19 years old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In reviewing the literature on testing, it seems like the Western Blot is the standard secondary test after a positive Elisa/SNAP result, but neither of these tests can discriminate between antibodies produced as a result of true FIV infection vs. FIV vaccination in the context of a cat with an unknown vaccination history. One of the vets I use quoted me $200 for the Western Blot test, which is a lot considering I've spent a good bit of money already this year on TNR.

Then there is a PCR test that tests for the virus, but it is, reportedly, not as accurate in terms of spotting all strains of FIV.

My situation is that I have a rescue cat I started dealing with through TNR, and it turned out she was too tame to have been un-owned. Spay clinic estimates she's around 3.5 years old, so we know nothing about whether or not she may have been vaccinated. The FIV status complicates efforts to get her adopted because, for obvious reasons, it makes potential adopters hesitant or apprehensive.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, please understand that I do 'appreciate' the conundrum.....I believe that, were I in your shoes and knowing what I do (which is limited, but telling, imo) about the individual 'behind' both the website and the specialized group/forum/community that he runs/owns/sponsors, I would be putting this issue in front of him and his group. I would expect at the very least a 'lead'/tip/suggestion/maybe even the 'jackpot': a referral......but, if I didn't try, then I'm 100% certain to be no further ahead.

Hoping that made some sense..........
ws

[the only other thought I have is to suggest some 'shopping' around for a better WB price, which might include approaching a veterinary college]

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We took in a sickly cat with FIV, and had asked about various types of tests to confirm that's what Buddy really had. We already had a cat, and had some concerns about an FIV+ and FIV- cat living together. So we were hoping that maybe he had just been misdiagnosed -- especially since the first vet said Buddy had tested positive for FeLV instead.

Some vets suggested euthanizing Buddy on the spot, and others told us that we could spend several hundred dollars having him tested, only to have the results come back as inconclusive.

But we were determined to love and care for Buddy, for however much time God so graciously allowed him to be with us. It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride at times these past five years, and I have no idea how many of his nine lives Buddy has left. But we can't imagine our lives without him. :)

There are lots of people with lots of love in their hearts for cats with special challenges and needs, and won't be scared off by their FIV status.

Wishing you all the best. :heartshape:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
How much do we really know about cats in general? Honestly... not much.

CatloverinFL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We took in a sickly cat with FIV, and had asked about various types of tests to confirm that's what Buddy really had. We already had a cat, and had some concerns about an FIV+ and FIV- cat living together. So we were hoping that maybe he had just been misdiagnosed -- especially since the first vet said Buddy had tested positive for FeLV instead.

Some vets suggested euthanizing Buddy on the spot, and others told us that we could spend several hundred dollars having him tested, only to have the results come back as inconclusive.

But we were determined to love and care for Buddy, for however much time God so graciously allowed him to be with us. It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride at times these past five years, and I have no idea how many of his nine lives Buddy has left. But we can't imagine our lives without him. :)

There are lots of people with lots of love in their hearts for cats with special challenges and needs, and won't be scared off by their FIV status.

Wishing you all the best. :heartshape:

I took in an obviously abandoned, young, very friendly, orange tabby back in late 2016. Right from the start he appeared to have something wrong with his skin, and had a flea allergy making his skin break out, and* he'd been bitten above the eye by another wild un-neutered Tom cat roaming around. I was between jobs at the time, and absolutely did not want another cat, but couldn't let him starve and none of my neighbors wanted him as I tried to find where he came from and asked if anyone wanted him, all to no avail. I got him neutered through a voucher, and got him on an expensive flea prevention med, got him on antibiotics for his bite that was starting to get infected, etc, but he seemed to always have something wrong with him in the short time that I have taken him in

I kept him separated in his own room for most of the time, as I already had two cats who had free roaming of my small home, however, there were times that I let him out, and he had direct contact with both of my other cats. He definitely played rough with my other 12 year old cat, who had since died, oddly, of cancer last month. At the advice of a vet 3 weeks ago, I got him tested for FIV/ F-LUK, and much to my surprise, but not shock, he has FIV!

I am in a quandary, as I definitely don't want to keep him now, but yet no sanctuaries will dare take him. I don't want to put him to sleep(!). But the fact is I cannot have a new kitten in my home with him in my home. I'm now feeling stuck and don't have a deep bond with him. I don't want to have a potentially chronically sick cat long term, nor do I have the funds.

I called a person at an animal rescue org where I live today and she adamantly said I could not adopt any kitten with them having an FIV positive cat in my home because it is so contagious and they can transmit it to all other cats just using the same water bowl(!). She stated it/ FIV is transmitted by saliva. This is clearly not what you read on the internet, as Ive read it is transmitted through a bite, only, but I believe her it can be transmitted through saliva.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that many who work with cats seem to get FIV and FeLV mixed up :/. They should know better, but since both are somewhat rare, they get confused. FeLV can be transmitted through casual contact. You would not want to keep FeLV negative cats with a FeLV positive cat, although some will choose to take the chance if the cats are already friends and they have the negative cat vaccinated. But you definitely wouldn't expose a kitten to a FeLV positive cat.

FIV is technically transmitted by saliva, but only through deep bites, not casual contact. Many rescue groups will keep FIV positive and FIV negative cats together, if they get along. The chances of it being transmitted between neutered cats are very low.

Here's the Cornell factsheet on FIV: Feline Immunodeficiency Virus

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of ours adopted a very nice adult cat through an independent party. They had a resident cat as well, they took their new cat to the vet and found he had FIV. The people asked the vet what that meant and the vet said "he's not sick now but he will be" and they euthed him on the spot, partially to avoid his potential problems but to hopefully save their current cat. I was upset. I helped foster this cat, and he was NOT a fighter/biter and he was a young, healthy cat with a bright future. I did not say anything to the adopters. They didn't know better, only in doing so would upset them. If they ever approach us with concerns or questions or the hopes of adopting another cat, we will have the FIV talk...
More recently, in came a young, goofy FIV+ cat that again is not a fighter. This cat was fostered for a long time, and recently adopted by the care giver because his personality is hard to resist. The cat is playful, fun, and has good bite control. Their other cat is FIV negative. The cats are well controlled, separated when no one is home and the care givers love both cats so dearly.
The odds of a cat fight with a deep bite wound between comfortable, acclimated housemates are as about as common as your pet dog or cat rousing from sleep, walking over, and giving (you, owner) a deep bite wound on the leg. But separation makes us feel better and makes our daily lives a bit less stressful..