How much did you pay to adopt your cat?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't remember exactly what we paid to adopt Wiggies from Pet Patrol 10 years ago, but I think it was around $110 Cdn. He was already spayed and up-to-date on shots.

Last edited:

janesy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It really depends on where you are, the programs that are available, and the types of shelters.

My local shelter charged $75 per kitten, $50 per adult cat.

I've attended some town health board meetings and learned that they've implemented a program where ALL cats are to be microchipped for free (paid by our ALREADY too high Jersey taxes 
), and extra $5 for the neutering/spraying and all shots necessary for the state laws.

However, I got my Nikki from the town next door because my local shelter gave away the kitty I reserved when I came back the following week to pick her up 
 (yes, our town is FULL of drama... not nearly as much as Jersey Shore tho, hehee)!

The town next door, a poorer town in comparison to mine, charged $50 per kitten and $60 if you bring home 2 instead of 1! 
This is actually a very clever idea that I think is very helpful for kittens to adapt to a new home, especially when they have a sibling. They charged $5 for shots and neutering/spraying, no microchipping, and of course I did not have Nikki licensed there because it was not my town. 

Our shelters don't provide any food or supplies other than a large cardboard box to bring your kitties home with. 

An appointment/reservation is required for every new litter of kittens a week ahead of time so that they can tell you when the kittens will be back from being sprayed/neutered and ready to be picked up.

Basically, this extra week is the time they give you to prepare your home and life for a new member 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't adopt none of my cats from shelters or breeders

All mine was free I saved some from being starved or abused and some was born into the family like my Blanket I had her for 15yrs soon to be 16yrs so 0 bucks for 10 cats on adoption lol yes my cats get vet care not counting that :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't adopt none of my cats from shelters or breeders

All mine was free I saved some from being starved or abused and some was born into the family like my Blanket I had her for 15yrs soon to be 16yrs so 0 bucks for 10 cats on adoption lol yes my cats get vet care not counting that
Both of my cats were something like that they just bypassed the shelter.  I spent more on the initial vetting than I would've paid to adopt them from any of the rescues.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats were something like that they just bypassed the shelter.  I spent more on the initial vetting than I would've paid to adopt them from any of the rescues.
Most of mine where outside starving or in someone else's care being abused etc and 3 where born in the family

kittygirl32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 8 cats right know three of them are rescues I will try to find homes for. out of the other five four were rescues one was a stray.

hbles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted both of my little loves at 7 months old (both are domestic shorthairs). When we got our little man the shelter (in the country) was running a BOGO sale, but unfortunately we could only adopt one kitty. He was fixed and was $25 with vaccinations and microchip included (though he cost nearly $300 within the first 2 weeks; poor baby had a terrible URI, eye infection, and worms :-( ...). Our little ladybug was fixed the day we got her, and UTD on vaccinations and only cost the price of the microchip.. $10. Though honestly I would have paid anything to rescue her (3 lbs at 7 months old!! They also "forgot" to do the standard blood tests before we brought her home). We got her from an inner city animal control shelter and I would have done anything to take all of them home!

fosters-r-us

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Nala 5 months old and the fee was $129 at the local humane society - the price for a kitten under 6 months old. She was my first foster failure and I love her to pieces. She had calicivirus as a tiny kitten and was lucky to survive. The shelter put a lot of money into saving her and I was more than happy to pay that fee for my sweet girl.

Their prices include all age appropriate immunizations including rabies, FIV/FeLV testing, de-worming, spay/neuter, microchip, 30 days free health insurance and a certificate to participating vets for a free wellness exam. Kittens 6 months to 1 year are $99, cats 1year to 6 years are $69, over 6 years are for a "donation" (meaning the adopter chooses the price). It annoys me to no end when people complain about the "exorbitant" adoption fees - try getting a free kitten and see how much it costs to get then fixed and immunized completely. Which is why the majority of cats that come into the shelter are either intact or pregnant, sick/diseased and we have to spend significant time and $$$ to get them healthy and adopted.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm currently fostering 5 kittens for our shelter. Just did some quick math and it looks like kitten-milk/ kitten-food for one kitten over the next six weeks (until they're old enough to adopt) will run about $125. That's before you add in litter, all the vet checks, spay/neuter, shots, etc. I'd say our $100 adoption fee is a bargain.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
$85 which included spay/neuter, microchip, all shots needed  to that point, one month of free health insurance.  If you get another cat at the same time, fee for the second is waived; fee can be waived for very senior cats as well.

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aya was "free" off the streets ...
They are never truly "free" are they? 

Si was "free" off the streets too, and we also had the $3-400 trip to the vet to get shots, the bite wound/abscess on his leg treated, then neutered .. oh, and then we're up to several hundred dollars worth of food, toys, furniture repair, etc.   LOL  

We will be looking to rescues/fosters for a playmate for him in the next year or so, and from what I've been seeing we expect to pay anywhere from $ 75 - 125 to find the right match age & personality wise.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I remember correctly, Cocoa was around $50 or so (maybe a bit more, I forget, but certainly not more than $75 by any means) from the rescue organization, already spayed, vetted, clean bill of health.  They also gave me enough of the food she was eating to last a couple of weeks, a small bag of the same litter, and a couple of small toys for her.  I also made a donation of $100 to their organization (it was around Christmas time and I had just gotten a nice bonus).  They do fantastic work, and I regularly donate now when I have some spare cash to throw at them.

Casper, was free because my friend rehomed him with us.  

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My shelter charges $85 per kitten (or $120 for two to increase pair adoptions). This includes: FIV/FeLV testing, two dewormings, at least 2 rounds of vaccinations, spaying/neutering, and microchipping so it's a heck of a deal. When things are really crazy they will slash these prices in an effort to get more adopted. For adults the fee is usually $50 and includes all of the same, but cats over the age of 12 are totally free, presuming you pass the adoption inspection. 

So that's what I paid to adopt Ella. Then tack on the $500+ I spent curing her of her stomach virus, eye infection, and Ringworm. To the shelter's benefit since it all surfaced within two weeks of the adoption they would have paid for her treatment if I had used the shelter's medical center but I wanted to use my own vet. 

I paid the same $85 for Diego's adoption even though he was born here in foster and I spent at least $100 on his food, litter, ect getting him to the age where I could actually adopt him. At least I didn't have to fill out paperwork for him! 

I liked reading everyone's posts. It seems a lot of the adoption fees seem to be in that $50-100 range which is really an amazing deal. And, it seems those who got "free" kitties spent way more on vaccines and altering than those who went through a shelter. Whether you save them from a cage or from the street it doesn't matter- they are all extremely lucky to have found such amazing homes! 

auroraei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 Free off the streets!
Then just $25 for neuter and shots.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My shelter charges $85 per kitten (or $120 for two to increase pair adoptions). This includes: FIV/FeLV testing, two dewormings, at least 2 rounds of vaccinations, spaying/neutering, and microchipping so it's a heck of a deal. When things are really crazy they will slash these prices in an effort to get more adopted. For adults the fee is usually $50 and includes all of the same, but cats over the age of 12 are totally free, presuming you pass the adoption inspection. 

So that's what I paid to adopt Ella. Then tack on the $500+ I spent curing her of her stomach virus, eye infection, and Ringworm. To the shelter's benefit since it all surfaced within two weeks of the adoption they would have paid for her treatment if I had used the shelter's medical center but I wanted to use my own vet. 

I paid the same $85 for Diego's adoption even though he was born here in foster and I spent at least $100 on his food, litter, ect getting him to the age where I could actually adopt him. At least I didn't have to fill out paperwork for him! 

I liked reading everyone's posts. It seems a lot of the adoption fees seem to be in that $50-100 range which is really an amazing deal. And, it seems those who got "free" kitties spent way more on vaccines and altering than those who went through a shelter. Whether you save them from a cage or from the street it doesn't matter- they are all extremely lucky to have found such amazing homes! 
Yup, adoption fees really are a great deal.  The $70 that we spent adopting Jason wasn't anywhere near what I spent in initial costs for my "free" feral kitten.  Acquiring her may have cost nothing, but the initial vet visit alone was over $100.  This isn't taking into account the $48 spaying at the low-cost clinic, additional kitten visits, microchipping, etc...

As much as I love Stella and would not hesitate to spend the money again if I came across a kitten in a similar situation while looking, I would definitely look into adopting from the shelter instead. 

pippapippa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a little late on this, but I paid $70 for one cat and $35 for my other when he was a kitten. They had a special due to overcrowding during kitten season. Both fees included spaying/neutering, rabies shot, a microchip, and some minor vet care (testing, some dewormings, etc.). 

Most of the shelters where I live charge more for kittens than full grown cats. They also often have specials where cats that are over two or have been at the adoption center for more than six months cost less (sometimes even less than $50). 

My cats both came from city shelters, but the private rescues are usually around $100 or $150 and often include insane vet care. Cats with well over a thousand dollars in vet fees still cost that price. It's really an amazing deal. There's nothing better than adopting. :)

leshelby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our local shelter was overrun and pricing all cats and kittens for 10$ for the month of June. She was spayed, microchipped and tattooed, was utd on all shots and vaccines, and we got a free bag of food. She was way too gorgeous to leave, and the oldest cat there at 3 years old. I knew the kittens would all get adopted quickly but not many want older cats..except me!

justmelilb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Izzy at a slight discount due to the fact that she had been in the shelter for 11 months and 22 days. $50 from $75 she was 3 years or so of age.  Included a shelter exam, microchip,and food.

I adopted my Gypsy while the shelters here had waived adoption fees for 5 days she would have been $70 had they not waived those fees. I still got a shelter exam and a microchip. She is 2 years of age and was rescued from a hoarding case in NM before being transferred to CO for adoption. I did not adopt Gypsy from the same shelter as Izzy. Gypsy has ear mites and uveitis which I am treating successfully.  Yes I am treating the others for ear mites as well to hopefully avoid that spreading.