How much cats can recognize humans

maloos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

We have 3 cats, all were stray cats which we gained their trust and they've become our pet. 2 boys around 7 months old and one girl about 3.5 years old.

The female cat was raised at my wife's father's house when she was about 3 weeks. She even could recognize his car when he was coming. 3 years later, he wasn't home much and couldn't take care of the cat, so he brought her to us. She's with us like 4 months and when my wife's father visits us, she seems to have no recollection at all and tries to avoid him and runs away.

I'm not sure if these cats know me or they look at me as someone they can trust at this house. I know that cats are experts at remembering roads/paths or locations. But I'm having doubts if they really know me. I've seen a few people fall in love so much with their cats that they kinda exaggerate describing their cat character. What I really like to know is how much really this animal is capable of recognizing humans.

I'd really like to know will these cats recognize us if they see us outside the house? or they trust us as people who belong to the house they know? I'm leaning to believe in latter.

Last edited:

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats recognize each other, and other creatures, primarily by smell. So if your wife's father has been somewhere new, is wearing different cologne, etc. then his former cat might not recognize him at first after a prolonged separation.

My cats certainly recognize me when they see me outside the house, like when I'm coming home from school or doing things in the yard, and I'm sure a lot of other people here will come along soon and tell you the same thing. :)

But your cats also trust you. I imagine they run and hide for a while when guests are over? Because those people aren't regularly part of their lives, they don't trust them and perceive them essentially as giant unknowns, possibly monsters. But because you are their people, and you feed them and pet them and treat them well, they know you and trust you. :D

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine can recognise me if i'm chatting to a neighbour outside because they jump straight on the window ledge. And when they hear my key in the door just after l get in from work at 2.p.m their up and sitting behind the livingroom door   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maloos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have similar things here too.

When they hear my key in the door they come running. One of the boys always play with me, biting my hand and scratching me with his legs. Actually my hands are all scratchy. The other boy always licks me and tries to groom me.

I just felt that outside the house they don't recognize. But you are right, they recognize by smell. That's why outside I may smell weak or different to them.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Inconclusive study to say one way or another IMO.

On the one hand you have a few cases of big cats raised in captivity that were released and reuinted years later with their caretaker and seemed to recognize one another as they were very affectionate.     

But then you have even sibling domestic cats together for years that are separated for even relatively short periods of time, and then appear not to recognize one another and become hostile upon being reuinited.

I also change my aftershave, shampoos, washing agents for my clothes, soaps, deodorant and such all the time and my cats clearly recognize me regardless so its more than just smell as they rush to my feet but are generally skittish around strangers.   They know the sound of my car, where I enter the house, my voice, etc as its part of a constant routine.   When I'm outside mowing the lawn or have the window open and walk to them to say hi through the screen, they aren't at all apprehensive, so yes they can recognize you outside.

You have to wonder what the big cats were really responding to.  Did they really clearly recognize their human as a unique individual or did they just develop a fond affection for humans as being good things that give you food and rubs and respond positively to that being that in the wild they would have been solitary?  Can't ever know for sure. 

My guess is that cats are far more instinctual and conditioned than they are thinkers, and if separated long enough I think they'd forget who I was.   Heck, I'm human w/ the biggest brain to mass ratio in the animal kingdom and I don't remember a single one of my teachers up to about the seventh grade by name or face.   Doesn't mean I didn't like them at the time, I just don't remember them as its been irrelevant too long without reminders.

Last edited:

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats reconize me, my mother when she comes to visit and know when strangers are in the house. Cats out in the world, when near me. Know I am a cat person and will come up to me.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, my senior cat is deaf and her sense of smell may not be good either. She recognizes me by sight and touch. 

The ones I raised since they were 3 weeks old know it's me by my voice (so they come running when they hear me even if they can't see me), and of course by sight, smell,etc.

The ones that I adopted when they were adults seem to depend more on their sense of smell to know if it's me or a stranger. 

During my "traveling days" when I used to be gone for weeks, on my return, only the cats who were adopted as adults would take some time before realizing who I was.

It's interesting what MeuzettesMom says about cats approaching her because they know she is a cat person. I believe that cats going to total strangers do so for other reasons like hunger, curiosity, good experiences with humans. 
 I'm not sure if cats even know what a cat person is.

Last edited:

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My babies know their mommy.

It is smells, tone of voice and everything that makes them feel familiar at home. My hubby can say "go see mommy" and they run to me- they also know when I say 'go love on daddy" they run to richard and give him cuddles :)

lokilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was gone to university for months and my old girl always knew me. She was afraid of nearly anyone who came by and would hide but never when I came home. I wonder if she was picking up cues from the other members of the family though. We all react differently if a stranger comes by versus a friend versus a family member. She would hide if a man rang the doorbell but not a woman. It's interesting to think about.

On the other hand my cats lived together for 7 months and were separated for one month. The female cat didn't seem to recognize the sight of the male. She seemed ok with his scent but not him.

/shrug interesting topic though

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if a person forms a strong enough bond with the cat the cat will recognize them even after an extended period of time. I had to leave Boo with my parents for a year when I first left for collage, when I came home he greeted me and would not leave my side for several days. My cats greet me when I come home and are always at the door when I open it. I know what MeuzettesMom means by cats approaching her. I have been told on several occasions that I have a way with animals and children, that peoples cats who don't like strangers will come and love all over me and let me pet them. There is a family that I pet sit for because their dogs love me, but they bark at any newcomers in the house except for me they smother me with kisses. I always amaze parents for some reason that their children love me and don't cry when they are left with me. I sometimes wonder if i just smell good to the animals or if I really have "a way with them" like I have had a some people say.

misssara

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My ex boyfriends cat at home always recognized him. She grew up with him being her owner, then he went to college. Even four years later, with him only visiting a couple times a year, the only time she slept in the house was when he was there (they live in a very rural area, so the cats and dogs have free access to both outside and inside at any time they want).

When we would arrive at his house, he would yell out her name and she would come running. It was so sweet.

I always assumed animals forget who you are if you're gone long enough, maybe if he was gone for even longer, like years, not a year.

olivesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think if a person forms a strong enough bond with the cat the cat will recognize them even after an extended period of time. I had to leave Boo with my parents for a year when I first left for collage, when I came home he greeted me and would not leave my side for several days. My cats greet me when I come home and are always at the door when I open it. I know what MeuzettesMom means by cats approaching her. I have been told on several occasions that I have a way with animals and children, that peoples cats who don't like strangers will come and love all over me and let me pet them. There is a family that I pet sit for because their dogs love me, but they bark at any newcomers in the house except for me they smother me with kisses. I always amaze parents for some reason that their children love me and don't cry when they are left with me. I sometimes wonder if i just smell good to the animals or if I really have "a way with them" like I have had a some people say.

I have had similar experiences. When I came home from college (not exactly sure how long I was gone for) I pulled into our drive way spotted my cat at a distance, called to him and he came running and rolled over to let me pet his stomach. I had not gone into the house yet, so he could have thought that I was just a stranger. He tends to hide or hiss at other people, even my mom's friend who regularly feeds him when she is out of town. My friends all knew him as a devil cat!

I guess people think of dogs as different, usually smarter, but I know if I run into one of the dogs from doggie daycare, they will happily run up to me. 

I do think it depends on the time frame. Your cats probably do recognize you, but may take some time to really and completely trust you since they've been brought into a new situation. It's been almost 3 months since moving to our new place and my cat is just starting to be really playful and spunky like she used to be. I wonder if she runs from your wife's father because he is new to the current situation and she isn't settled enough to deal with another new thing? Not sure if that makes sense...

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat recently climbed out of my roommate's window (2nd story, nothing to climb up to get back in) and was outside wandering for hours before I woke up. I found him terrified and huddled in between a garage and a garbage can, and the second he saw me he gave me his "I'm very upset, come save me" meow (he's run into my landlady's dogs before, so I know the sound of that meow), then sprinted over and jumped up on me. This same cat runs under my bed every time somene so much as walks up the stairs in my building, and is startled every time I move my legs when I'm sitting on the couch. It has nothing to do with me being blinded by loving him; I am positive he knew who I was.

olivesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat recently climbed out of my roommate's window (2nd story, nothing to climb up to get back in) and was outside wandering for hours before I woke up. I found him terrified and huddled in between a garage and a garbage can, and the second he saw me he gave me his "I'm very upset, come save me" meow (he's run into my landlady's dogs before, so I know the sound of that meow), then sprinted over and jumped up on me. This same cat runs under my bed every time somene so much as walks up the stairs in my building, and is startled every time I move my legs when I'm sitting on the couch. It has nothing to do with me being blinded by loving him; I am positive he knew who I was.

aww! Sad that your cat had to go through that, but has such a cute happy ending!

sarah ransley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that cats respond to the body language of cat people.' Several of my friends with antisocial cats are amazed when their cat warms to me. I think it's because I am more likely to sit back and let the cat come to me, rather than rush up, wide eyed and excited and try to befriend it. Humans perceive wide eyes as friendly, cats perceive wide eyes as threatening.

kaiiam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats use smell primarily but they have to recognize visually too. Years ago I had a cat that had to go live with my ex for over a year.  To me she was sweet as could be, but  we used to have to lock her in her bedroom when we had company or someone would end up bleeding. After a year of living in a different home, she definately knew who I was on sight as soon as I got out of my car as she went crazy trying to get to me when she saw me through the window of the house.   She couldn't smell me from where she was.