How Much And When To Feed A 7 Month Old Cat?

Bosup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello so my cat is 7 months. How much should I feed her and what amount?. She's hungry most of the time. I feed her about 4 times a day with abit of. Dry food and wet food twice or once a week.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Free feeding is recommended. A 7 month old cat is still growing and still needs a lot of food. Can you leave a bowl of dry food out all day and feed canned when you are at home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bosup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was free feeding but I noticed she was getting abit depressed. At which age should I switch to normal feeding? Iam confused

Bosup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was not playing that much and she was sleeping alot. She was getting stimulated way harder.

Bosup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes when i stopped free feeding she lighten up again

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe she gorges her self too much and feels bloated. What brand are you feeding? You want to make sure you’re feeding a growing kitten a high protein and fat food with low carbs. Natures variety raw boost kitten and Tiki kitten are good options. Along with their canned foods.
I didn’t free feed my last two kittens. I just followed the back of the bag and fed what it recommended for weight and age. And I broke it into three meals. You can do more meals is she gets hungry inbetween meals.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes when i stopped free feeding she lighten up again
That's good that's she's feeling better.

About your initial question on how much to feed her? Pretty much as much as she will eat, until she's about a year old, because like human teenagers, kittens are super active and still growing, so need a lot of calories.

BTW, do you have a pic of her you can post?
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Bosup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your great answers guys . I already have a thread with her pictures

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What food are you giving her? And is it possible to provide more wet food than you do now? My kitties feel better when they eat more wet.

Bosup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I bought alot of wet food. And she's good also. She's eating alot haha.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will say I do not free feed any of my cats and I have a 14 week old kitten. Yes, he gets hungry but he never goes without food for more than 7-8 hours. I feed him 4-5 times a day with only wet food. All of my cats I have had since they were young kittens and they all end up growing like weeds. I know it is recommended to free-feed, but I don't know if it is truly necessary as long as when you do put wet food down you allow the kitten to eat as much as they want for each meal until they literally walk away from the bowl because they are too full to eat another bite. :)