How much alnutrin when reducing bone percentage

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding HT boneless meats for awhile but I'm venturing into bone-in meats to give my cats more variety. I've used the calculators provided by others members to figure out how much boneless meat to add to reduce the bone percentages, but I'm a little confused about how much alnutrin to add. Do i add alnutrin for the total meat weight even if the majority of that does not have bone?

For example, if I'm trying to reduce the bone percentage for 2lbs of fine ground turkey/bone/organs which has 68% meat, 27% bone, and 5% organs and i want to reduce the bone percentage to 8% the calculator says i should add 4.51lbs of boneless and 0.24 organs. So my total weight of meat would be 6.75lbs, Do i add alnutrin for bone to that 6.75lbs of meat even though only 2lbs of that actually has bone? 

Can I mix up boneless and bone-in meats separately with their proper alnutrin and then mix together at the time of serving? 

Sorry if this question has been answered before but I couldn't quite find what i was looking for when i was browsing the threads. 

Thanks!

Last edited:

nuieng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you should use the total weight of 6.75 lbs to calculate the amount of Alnutrin for Meat and Bone. I planned to mix my own meat/bone/organ with 80/10/10 ratio (5% of organ is liver) so I contacted Alnutrin to confirm that Alnutrin for Meat and Bone was designed for this ratio and they said yes.

You can also double check with Alnutrin. Their email is [email protected] . They usually reply within 1 business day and they are very informative.

Not sure if I understand your last question but I think we can mix any raw food together as long as they are complete diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think you should use the total weight of 6.75 lbs to calculate the amount of Alnutrin for Meat and Bone. I planned to mix my own meat/bone/organ with 80/10/10 ratio (5% of organ is liver) so I contacted Alnutrin to confirm that Alnutrin for Meat and Bone was designed for this ratio and they said yes.

You can also double check with Alnutrin. Their email is [email protected] . They usually reply within 1 business day and they are very informative.

Not sure if I understand your last question but I think we can mix any raw food together as long as they are complete diet.
Thanks for your reply!

I have one cat that only eats boneless so i usually mix up several batches of just boneless (with alnutrin with eggshell calcium) so I figured I could just mix that complete boneless meat together with the bone-in meats that have higher bone percentages than I want. I actually didn't order that much bone-in meat that had a super high bone percentage anyway. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just bumping this thread incase anyone else wants to chime in with suggestions. 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think you should use the total weight of 6.75 lbs to calculate the amount of Alnutrin for Meat and Bone. 
I agree. I looked at their website and the instructions for the Alnutrin for meat/bone/organs call for using 4 g of Alnutrin per lb of meat/bones/organs. In your case you have 6.75 lbs of meat/bones/organs so you would use 27 g of Alnutrin.